Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

My new long range rig...nothing too fancy...w/pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Gold Member

My new long range rig...nothing too fancy...w/pics

Well I am finally about to join in the effort to hit small things a long way away with consistency. I just finished putting my scope on this afternoon, so I thought I would post some pics of the final product.

Rem 700 CDL 300RUM
trigger at 1.75lbs
holland brake
I bedded the action and floated the barrel,
NF 5.5-22x56
Badger 20moa base and med high rings.

I will have it rebarreled and have the action worked over next year or the year after, but wanted to spend the extra $$ on hunting and shooting this barrel out.

Havn't shot it yet, hopefully this weekend. It's snowing outside right now,(in western oregon no less!!)
I'm sure after I've shot it I will have more questions to throw your way. I have some rounds loaded up with retumbo and H-1000, 178gr A-max, 200AB's, and 220 SMK's, so I'll see what it likes. thanks again for the info leading to the final result, my wife thanks you also [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
take care, jon
Old 03-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Silver Member

Re: My new long range rig...nothing too fancy...w/pics

Good luck with that shootin iron. H1000 has been the most consistant powder for me, much better than Retumbo. Retumbo had better velocity, but the velocity spread was much greater.

Be kind to your neighbors... shoot quietly..
WWW.Gem-tech.com
WWW.Advanced-Armament.com
Old 03-09-2006, 08:47 PM
SPONSOR

Good luck on your efforts!!! Hope you got one of the factory's hummers!! Keep us informed on how she shoots.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Gold Member

man...so do I!!! If it shoots really bad it might get rebarreled sooner than later. fingers crossed though.
also, thanks for the tips on the powder, I'm trying em both so I'll let you guys know what happens.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Looks like a shooter already! It should not let you down. Most 300 RUMS, even from the factory are shooting at least MOA. WIth your choice of powder/bullets, I'm almost positive you'll find more then 1 load it likes. Good luck, and let us know how the factory rifle does. Im quite interested myself, since factory barrels are all I shoot, for now anyways.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Bronze Member

Looks pretty nice, Love the scope.
My 300RUM is still in need of being built, I have a sendero but its far from done.
How do ya like this dang snow, kinda caught me off gaurd, they always say its gonna but then it never does. Where you at in Oregon? Im West of Portland about 30 miles.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Gold Member

ya ditto's on the snow thing. pretty weird! I live a little east of salem. would love to get togather with some guys that shoot LR and learn some stuff. I'm just starting off. do you shoot long range very much? I've heard good things about the sendaro's, so get it going and we'll go shoot some milk jugs or rocks.