Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

My lastest creation- 243 WSSM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Gold Member

My lastest creation- 243 WSSM

will i just finshed up a project gun tonight, kinda, still waiting on the good ol MAC A-5 stock. here are some specs on it

30" Shilen Selact Match 1-8" twist barrel, llight plama contour.
Blueprinted Rem 700 short action w/ bolt sprial fluted and tefloned, also action has been lightened and tefloned.
Badger oversized recoil lug also tefloned
Oversized bolt knob i made out of titainum also tefloned.

for now i have it in a take off stock from a alaskan titainum rifle, hopefully the MAC will be here soon.

as for optics i have order a Super sniper 20X scope for testing but has not arrived yet. will be mounted in Burris sig rings with inserts.

Heres a few pics: havent got it quite figured out yet how to post directly.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...243wssm005.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...3wssm004-1.jpg
heres what i plan on shooting out of it from L to R is 107gr matchking, 105gr A-max moly, and 115gr Berger VLD moly, also have some 105gr wildcats on the way.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...243wssm007.jpg
enjoy, huntinfool18
Old 09-19-2007, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

To insert image copy URL.jpg of the image then click on the postage stamp looking icon w/the mountains on it. Paste the url.jpg in the window and ta daa thar's yur image.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

if you'd quit dinkin' w/shooters so much you could afford some furniture

Pretty sweet. Pretty nice work all the way around. Who dunit?

How does that cartridge compare to the PPCs?
Old 09-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Gold Member

Howd you know i didnt have any furniture?
single guy live in a 3 bed 2 bath house i seem to have a few empty rooms around, saved one just for takin pics.
i havent even fired the gun yet so i couldnt give any info on how they compar, but plan on breakin in the barrel tomorrow and will let you know how she does. oh, and im doin the work myself.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:47 AM
Platinum Member

very nice , it feels good saving all that money on the machine work by doing it yourself doesen't it , I sure miss it but at least I've been able to meet some great guys having them do my work for me.

If it were me I'd give Joel Russo a call and get one of his laminated A-5 stocks , you'll get it in about 1/5 the time it'll take McMillan and if you don't want it in the laminated color you can paint it. I like the laminated stocks better because I can custom fit the stock to fit me perfectly.

anyway , what made you choose the 243 WSSM ??
Old 09-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Gold Member

I order the Mac stock maybe 4 months ago so im not going to back out now, but thanks for the suggestion.
i went with the 243 wssm because i need a mag bolt face cartridge, i was going to go with a 6mm-300 wsm but i decided i wanted the barrel to last past the break-in, so i figured the wssm was the next best thing. i know its not the best platform for accracy but i think i can make it work.

Will i went and shot this little beast today. she didnt do to bad for the first time out. best group was with 107 gr matchking with 41grs of imr 4350, didnt chrony it but shot .357" shot group so its looking promising. next best group was with a 105gr a-max with 42 grs of imr 4350 at .500". im kinda wondering about the 115gr bergers i would get 2 in pretty much the same hole then one would be an inch away, but i think they deserve a little more effort.

super sniper scope got here today so i mounted it up and after sighting in i still have enough moa to shoot out to about 1500 yards with no special bases or rings. so far im pretty impressed with the scope.
huntinfool18
Old 09-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinfool18 View Post
super sniper scope got here today so i mounted it up and after sighting in i still have enough moa to shoot out to about 1500 yards with no special bases or rings. so far im pretty impressed with the scope.
huntinfool18
I don't see why that cartridge wouldn't just be naturally accurate. Not being familiar with the WSSMs I didn't know it has a mag head size. That's just gotta be good.

RE the SS scope. I have a 16x and would go for a 20x but am wondering about excessive mirage. Things are pretty fuzzy out @ 1k and beyond now.

Keep track of the criticalness of eye placement. I think I'm noticing that there is a precise spot for the eye to have everything clear. I'm looking for other SS user input regarding this. I'm confident that if there is a criticalness it's with my left eye (shooting eye). The optometrist was amazed that it could be corrected to 20 20 with the cataract that I didn't know I had.

I'm about due for a whole body transplant. I think I'll keep my nose and replace everything else.;)