Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Muzzlebrakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2005, 06:29 AM
Gold Member

Re: Muzzlebrakes

No the Holland can't be covered up. The Boss system is kinda like that....but didn't really work all that well.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:12 AM

I have a Vias on a 338 Ruger than cuts the recoil a bunch feels about like a ......270? another friend has one on a .300 Ultra and it was very mild on recoil. The vias works better than my Boss on a 300Win mag but is not tunable.
Old Bear
Old 07-02-2005, 09:20 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> You can't have your cake and eat it too. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, that old cliche is false, you <font color="red"> CAN </font>[/i] if you use a <font color="red"> CAN </font>

A <font color="red"> CAN </font> being a supressor - illegal in most states and much more expensive than a muzzle brake.

Muzzle brakes work by preventing the forward momentum of the gasses (muzzle blast) from going forward - the jet effect of the gasses leaving the barrel at a much higher velocity than the bullet exit. A modern shark brake like those on my 50 BMGs actually do much better than perpendicular (ie, reduce gas thrust component to zero) with their 30 deg brake - they contribute COS(90-30) = .5 or 1/2 the thrust pulls the gun forward - opposite the impulse of the bullet.

Given that you you <font color="red"> CAN't </font>[/i] buy a <font color="red"> CAN </font> - the old cliche is probably true.

My BAR 338 WinMag kicks like a .243, all of my 50's seem to kick even less (but they do push you back). My semi-custom 375 Kirby/Lilja/RUM arrives today sporting a Holland QD - report soon.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Gold Member

b1g b0re I don't know much about 50's but the holland QD will tame a RUM down to the 243 range in recoil or less depending on weight of your rig.
Before Kirby installed my Holland my RUM would make me want to end load development at about 20 rounds in a day.
Now I'm launching 20 to 30 grain heavier bullets and have shot as many as 50 in a day without any tenderness or anything.
I compare the felt recoil now to a heavy barrel 243.