Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

muzzle breaks please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 08:24 PM

muzzle breaks please help

So I just bought a remington 700 sendero ll in .300rum I'm planning on putting a muzzle break on it or any other solution to reducing recoil. My question is there a big difference in the break models and makes? And what are the other options instead of a break? Suggestions would be great. Thanks
Old 07-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Gold Member

Re: muzzle breaks please help

I Just bought a browning A-bolt weight around 6.5-7 pounds in a 300. wsm. I have shot 300. wsm's before but mine.. wohoo, that bad boy has some recoil. I own a 7mm rem mag as well and that thing is a joy to shoot but the 300 is different. I put a scope on it and tightened the screws, the recoil knocked it loose. I bought a limbsaver and it knocked that loose. I love it, but wow the recoil is insane. Im looking for a break as well, prices, models/makes, and experiences with it. Is it worth it or no?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhailey View Post
So I just bought a remington 700 sendero ll in .300rum I'm planning on putting a muzzle break on it or any other solution to reducing recoil. My question is there a big difference in the break models and makes? And what are the other options instead of a break? Suggestions would be great. Thanks
Hi Ryhailey,

A good limbsaver will do the job, and you will not fill the punch. Another option is Mercury tubs $100.00 each will help
Or if you want to go Muzzlebrake use the DE, or PainKiller ones.
I strongly recomand to use the one with 3-4 holes on the sides and 3 holes on the top.
THIS TYPE OF BRAKES WILL REDUCE RECOIL AND ALSO MUZZLE JUMP so you will be able to see your own shots) without beeing cover by dust (Veiss muzlebrakes - with holes all around)
Thw ones with holes all around arfe good for shooting from cement platform, (benchrest type) because the dust will cover you every time you prtess the trigger.
AND DO NOT FORGET THE EAR PROTECTION.
DO not try to shoot without, you will have ear destruction and repeated shots will go to loosing hearings.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_3479 View Post
I Just bought a browning A-bolt weight around 6.5-7 pounds in a 300. wsm. I have shot 300. wsm's before but mine.. wohoo, that bad boy has some recoil. I own a 7mm rem mag as well and that thing is a joy to shoot but the 300 is different. I put a scope on it and tightened the screws, the recoil knocked it loose. I bought a limbsaver and it knocked that loose. I love it, but wow the recoil is insane. Im looking for a break as well, prices, models/makes, and experiences with it. Is it worth it or no?
I had an A-bolt 300wsm also and it was the best shooting rifle I've had, several groups under .75" at 100. I agree that the recoil was bad. I used it just as a hunting rifle shooting only a few rounds a year was fine. When I really got into shooting and shot more often, it got to be too much. I now own a rifle with a factory brake and It's much better.

I agree with the previous post on the type to get. If you look around you will find good prices, and I'm sure you will not regret the investment.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:14 PM
SPONSOR

I have more of the Holland Radial BRakes than anything else.
Kirby's PK brakes work great too
Old 07-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Bronze Member

I put a limbsaver recoil pad and hollands radial brake on all my rifles. The difference this combo makes is outstanding.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

I shoot a Rem. .300 Ultra mag 210 berger bullet I have a limbsaver recoil pad and Defensive Edge 4 port break I think it cost $80.00 when I got it and that was one of the cheepest prices that I could find for that style of break atleast at that time. I love my break I don't think it would matter what style of pad you had on your rifle . It makes my .300 RUM feel like a .243 or a .308 shooting 150 grainers . You can shoot my rifle in the middle of summer with nothing but a T- shirt on round after round I've shot as many as 10 shot strings as fast as I could get on target and never even noticed well maybe the heat rising off of the barrel producing murage in my scope .
P.S. my break does not have holes on the top and just the other day I spotted impacts at 333 YRDS
BigBuck