Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Muzzle Brake and Scope Movement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2005, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Muzzle Brake and Scope Movement

Roy:

Sounds like you have the rings solved now just hope the scope holds up.

Good luck with your shooting.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

I have had three scopes go fuzzy on me and all three were on rifles with brakes. Have shot a lot of other rifle and scope combinations without any problems. I buy what Kirby and Shawn are saying, matter of fact I have heard that same sentiment about brakes from some other smiths.
We need them, simple as that, but not all scopes are created equal.
Dual dovetails give me the vapors... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2005, 02:17 AM
Platinum Member

Kirby,
I knew about the negative G force on an air rifle would damage a scope that wasn't built for that purpose, but did not know about the muzzle breaks. The explanation does make sence. Do we have any riflescope manufacturers that are adverticing for their scopes being capable of taking this type of beating? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 08-19-2005, 04:40 AM
Gold Member

Dave,
As fiftydriver stated the windage screws on the reward mounts are not a very stable retention design during heavy recoil. I've had a set of the windage screws fail during load development on a Browning SS 7Mag. I can show you some really nice ring marks now.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:19 AM
Platinum Member

Wierd how people like me learn.
I'd read all of this stuff from Lilja's site and others over last year.

It didn't really sink in until it became an experience of my own. Now I know that I know. Guess that's growth. Slow painful, costly growth, but growth nevertheless.

<font color="blue">How does one ensure that the dovetail ring is straight?</font>

W/regular rings a 1" bar will do it or the scope itself handles it.

I've noticed that the longer the distance between rings on the scope the easier it is to set the dove tail end. (and the 'smith'grimmace [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) but how many of us do that? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Well, back when scopes were steel it weren't no problem! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2005, 08:53 AM
Platinum Member

Roy,
The best way is to use a tool designed specifically for that job. Simply a pair of 1" or 30mm rods that have sharply tapered points. Put one in each ring, sharp tips pointed at each other above the midpoint of the receiver and turn till the tips touch, has to be straight and true.
You can get them from Brownells or have someone with a lathe make them for you.
Don't ever twist the dovetail on with the scope tube - that is a form of scope abuse [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2005, 09:18 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Eaglet,

There are several scope makers that offer scope of top quality for any rifle really. To get the ultimate, you simply go to the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association and see what is recommended for use on the big 50s by the guys that really use them alot.

The short list includes, and in this order:

1. Nightforce(vastly more popular then anything else)
2. Leupold fixed power Mk 4
3. Weaver Target models

The last one may suprise you a bit but top end Weaver scopes are extreme quality instruments. I have been using the now discontinues Weaver Tactical for years on my big game rifles and my AllenMagnums with brakes and they have yet to have any problems. THey are also mounted using standard windage adjustible bases and Burris Sig ring sets. Never had a problem.

Obviously other scope makers make scopes that will handle these special strains. The top end Burris scopes are pretty stout, at least the older ones, jury still out on the new ones since Berreta bought them out.

S&amp;B are obviously top quality if you can afford them as are the USO scopes. Swarovskis are top quality as well.

For lower prices scopes, the Super Sniper scopes are suprisingly simple and stout as are the XOTIC Ultimate Sniper Scopes.

Basically you get what you pay for. If you spend less then $300 on a scope I would say on average you will have some problems with a big rifle fitted with a brake. Just get a well know brand with a good reputation for quality and you will be fine.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com