Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Muscle break, VIAS break, OR ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 07:22 AM

Re: Muscle break, VIAS break, OR ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boman View Post
Someone needs to do an unbiased experiment using all the popular breaks and see how they do. I vote for someone with a few different long range rigs. Here are some of the breaks

Muscle
Aps (kirbys)
Assasin (je custom)
Shawn Carlocks
Vais

Any others?

Who wants to do it?

I would be willing to supply a Killer Innovations brake.

Maybe use a crush washer for timing? I know it wouldn't be as aesthetically pleasing, but would allow one to switch back and forth easily
Old 02-13-2014, 07:33 AM
Platinum Member

What I am picking up here, is that breaks can be customized to different calibers too? Please chime in on why this is. I can understand large cartridges to small a little but is their another reason? The side discharge ones like Kirby's look cool!
Old 02-13-2014, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boman View Post
Someone needs to do an unbiased experiment using all the popular breaks and see how they do. I vote for someone with a few different long range rigs. Here are some of the breaks

Muscle
Aps (kirbys)
Assasin (je custom)
Shawn Carlocks
Vais

Any others?

Who wants to do it?
I have already done lots of test on different brakes and the videos are there to review.
Some of the brakes were to recognizable to show and I elected not to out of respect for some
very good people and there products.

There was a wide margin of performance in the full range of muzzle brakes and prices.

My findings were simple "You Get What You Pay For". Cheep brakes performed well considering
the cost, but were no where as good as the more expensive brakes. The worst performer reduced recoil buy 31% (Not bad considering the removal of 31% of the existing recoil of a rifle that was marginally bad recoiling rifle.

The more machining, the more the cost. Some designs require more machining and therefore
cost more to produce.

Another question was about tuning a brake to a specific load/cartridge. This is true and again you can see the difference between an Un-tuned brake and a tuned brake on the test Videos on my website ( jecustom.com ).

Tuning is not a simple process, It requires many data points and special formulas then the ports can be modified for best performance. The Assassin was designed Specifically for the ability to tune it
improving the recoil reduction. Best reduction to date has been a whopping 72.3% making it 99%
efficient on that cartridge.

I have tried to tune other brakes with little/no success because they were not designed for this ability.

There are 4 or 5 top brakes available and anyone of these should make the owner very pleased
with there performance. There are many other brakes that do ok and will make the rifle feel much better. I found no brakes that did not reduce recoil to some point. And on less powerful rifles any
of these brakes will help. But on the more powerful rifles the best brake you can buy will be an
asset.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-13-2014, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

Anyone used the Dixie precision portless brake?
Old 02-14-2014, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
I have already done lots of test on different brakes and the videos are there to review.
Some of the brakes were to recognizable to show and I elected not to out of respect for some
very good people and there products.

There was a wide margin of performance in the full range of muzzle brakes and prices.

My findings were simple "You Get What You Pay For". Cheep brakes performed well considering
the cost, but were no where as good as the more expensive brakes. The worst performer reduced recoil buy 31% (Not bad considering the removal of 31% of the existing recoil of a rifle that was marginally bad recoiling rifle.

The more machining, the more the cost. Some designs require more machining and therefore
cost more to produce.

Another question was about tuning a brake to a specific load/cartridge. This is true and again you can see the difference between an Un-tuned brake and a tuned brake on the test Videos on my website ( jecustom.com ).

Tuning is not a simple process, It requires many data points and special formulas then the ports can be modified for best performance. The Assassin was designed Specifically for the ability to tune it
improving the recoil reduction. Best reduction to date has been a whopping 72.3% making it 99%
efficient on that cartridge.

I have tried to tune other brakes with little/no success because they were not designed for this ability.

There are 4 or 5 top brakes available and anyone of these should make the owner very pleased
with there performance. There are many other brakes that do ok and will make the rifle feel much better. I found no brakes that did not reduce recoil to some point. And on less powerful rifles any
of these brakes will help. But on the more powerful rifles the best brake you can buy will be an
asset.

J E CUSTOM
+1! JE you did an awesome job on it too.

This guy did similar test too D.F Maisey Gunsmithing Services, Tauranga, Smith & Wessen Guns, Rifles, Gunsmithing, Custom made Rifles

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks JE, the more I acquire and more I find firearms and calibers I like, the more I want to spend the money for getting it right the first time around. Having a little real world experience is hard to come by and what you are saying makes sense. I'll check out some of your video's, looks like a good learning tool. I'll be happier with value for the bucks I spend and enjoy the hobby more.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trever View Post
Anyone used the Dixie precision portless brake?
I've seen their suppressors but I didn't realize they make muzzle brakes too.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.