Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Muscle break, VIAS break, OR ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 05:06 PM
Silver Member

Muscle break, VIAS break, OR ?

Ok guys Im in the middle of a 300WSM build and Im wanting to put a muzzle break on it but just not sure what kind of break I want. Im torn between a muscle break or a vias I llike the look of both but kind of leaning toward the Muscle break. Any body got Pros and Cons for either or even advice on another brand of break maybe.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Muscle break, VIAS break, OR ?

I went with Jim's Muscle brake on my 300WSM build. Never considered a Vias, cause I wanted a timed brake. Ross Schuler makes a very affordable brake, but I don't know if its in the same league as Jim's Muscle brake. Hered good stuff tho.
Kirby makes the Painkiller brake, & Shawn has one thru Defensive Edge. I've hered good things about both of them as well. Nate Dagley (308nate) markets one thru SSG.

It'll be a while before I'll be able to report on the effectiveness of the Muscle brake, cause my build is still in progress, but bigngreen highly recomended it specifically for the WSM's & I trust him. He guinnea pigged it, so all I had to do was ask

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

regardless of whose brake you pick, I would stay with the side discharge type, they are more effective, in recoil reduction, than the vias/radial type of brakes.

Currently the Muscle brakes are dealer ordered with about 10-12 highly regarded gunsmiths around the country, they all chose to try the brake before committing to volume orders. I think what separates the Muscle brake is the friendliness to the shooter.

I make 9 different sizes and profiles to match the cartridge used and the application.
soon I will have my 10th style Muscle brake available in about 3 weeks. This brake is designed to work with large cartridges in factory contour barrels. This was a gap i was missing due to the reduced thread size needed for the factory contours.

basically it is a 9/16x24 tpi similar to the mini muscle in size and width, but with wider/larger ports to effectively disperse enough gas in the magnum factory barrels.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:25 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Jim would a mini reduce recoil enough for a 10 to 12 yr old to comfrotably shoot or would I need one of your in the works breaks or an original size? How much will one of the new in between breaks cost when its finally done?
Old 03-31-2012, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

If it is a light barrel gun I would go with the new one when it is available. If your going with a larger profile barrel than the original 3 port would offer more recoil reduction.

I had put the mini on a few 300 wsms and I considered it the limit of effectiveness for that brake as the largest bore and powder capacity. so the new one should fit a 300wsm perfect.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

Well crap Jim. Ted just ordered mine last week I didn't know you offered a more effective one in a simmilar profile.
Guess I should've waited. My fault for not keeping up with the progress of your brakes. I told him (Ted) specifically what I wanted (mini) cause it was kinda tailored to the WSM's.
Guess ill have to order a new style & compare em side by side someday when I can afford to do my next build.
I'm sure ill be plenty happy with what I got tho, cause till I read this thread, I had no idea you had another one on the table, & I was already convinced the mini was The brake for my build.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-31-2012, 08:52 PM
Silver Member

Jim I got your PM check will be in the mail Monday "new 3 port muscle break"I dont know if I can stand the wait to have this thing all in 1 piece. Damnn building custom rifles the wait kills me.