Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Montana Rifleman Company

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2006, 09:46 PM

Montana Rifleman Company

Gents,
Remington is now making a 700 with a DM in 300 win mag. I am considering buying a bull barrel from the Montana Rifleman Company for this gun.
First question: Anyone delt with these folks before? They seem very good with E-mail, and my favorite dealer spoke to them briefly at the big show in Vegas, but has never bought anything from them. It's not a ton of money that they want, but would like to know more about them from anyone who has purchased.
Second question: They offer some fairly inexpensive accurizing options, but won't square the action because their gunsmith thinks squaring the action is too big of a pain, due to the extractor. This being said, can the action be trued by someone else after the new barrel has been installed?
Old 08-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Montana Rifleman Company

Ryno,

I do not mean to talk down about another company in the shooting industry but if their smith says its to much of a pain to accurize a Rem 700 that tells me alot about the attitude at the company.

Cutting corners will get you a general purpose big game rifle like you can get off the shelf at any sporting good store.

If you want a shooter, spend a little more money, get a barrel from Lilja, Rock, Hart, Kreiger, Broughton or any other well know accuracy minded barrel makers. Send it all to an accuracy minded gunsmith and you will get vastly superior results for your investment.

It will cost a bit more but you will forget about that when you are punching 1/2 moa or better groups consistantly instead of every once in a while.

I have built on a few of the MRC receivers and fitted a couple of barrels. The barrels shot pretty well but they were fitted using match quality barrel fitting techniques, no corner cutting and on fully accurized receivers.

The MRC receivers are fine for general big game rifles, not for extreme accuracy rifles in my opinion.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-12-2006, 11:41 AM

Kirby,
Thanks for the reply. You made some very good points. If I can bug you for some more info, it would be much appreciated. Can you suggest any other barrel makers? I looked at all of the manufacturers you listed, and none seem to list a .300 win mag as an available caliber. They seem to all go from .308 to .338. As well, I was unable to find Rock. (I assume you were suggesting Mike Rock rifle barrels) Could you provide a website for that?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
Ryno
Old 08-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

A 308 cal barrel blank is the correct barrel for any 30 cal round including the 300 Win. A 308 blank can be chambered in anything from a 30-30 up to a 30-378. As long as they all shoot 30 cal bullets they all use the same barrel spec. Only the twist rates will change in most cases.

I used Lilja barrels mainly but the Rock barrels are world class as well.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 08-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member

here are some links Ryno

Broughton rilfe barrels www.rifle-barrels.com

Mike Rock barrels www.rockcreekbarrels.com

Lilja rifle barrels www.riflebarrels.com

Kreiger rifle barrels www.kriegerbarrels.com

you will get world class tubes from any oth these folks.

An like Kirby said barrel makers list their 30 caliber barrel as 308 because thats the bore diameter of all common 30 caliber rounds , those are the barrels you want.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:22 PM

Gents,
Thank you both for the education! As you can tell, I don't don't know much about rifle building. Which is one of my main reasons for taking on this project (and ending up with a one of kind). Thanks for all of your help. I will likely be back with more questions later. Thanks again.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:11 PM

Gents,
I have gotten some prices from some of the companies you suggested. Ouch...to say the least. It looks like approximately $1300, from Krieger, which naturally does not include the glass, the stock, or the original gun. It looks like, I would have close to $3200 in the set up. Ouch again. However, what can I expect for my investment?? Will this be a 1/4 moa gun, or a 1/2 moa gun?