Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Moderator/Suppresser/Siliencer Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Moderator/Suppresser/Siliencer Question

Roy- I got one on my 270. It was made for a 308, and I intend to get Kevin to thread a few more barrels for too. a 22lr, and a 223 to start. It is a long wait but I went the finger print route and had no trouble with local law enforcement at all.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBSTER View Post
I believe a suppressor that is built to be acurate will have a noticeable differance in tolalance. also I think when you buy a suppressor it is regestered to a single gun not multiple ones.I have one for a 338 whisper and I`m looking at a 338 edge and was told that you can`t do it legally.
robster
The tax stamp goes on the suppressor, not the firearm. You may use it on several firearms.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Silver Member

Here is a question then when looking at my form 4 tax stamp it is listed as a specific calibur so can you legally use it on multiple calibures?
robster
Old 07-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Does the suppressor affect the accuracy of the rifle. I am looking at putting one on my 308 Rem P700. In addition, which brands are considered top suppressors. I found a company in AZ called AWC. Do they make a good product??????
Old 07-21-2010, 08:00 AM
Silver Member

Suppressors don't affect accuracy in a negative way. Remember the bullet never touches the inside of the suppressor so there is nothing to contact.

They improve accuracy if anything else. The added weight to the muzzle of the weapon acts as a counter weight, so you'll have less recoil which in turn produces less flintching, you'll get back on target quicker. You won't have to worry about muzzle blast which will reduce flintching caused by anticipation of the blast. So it's a win, win.

Some people say that it influences velocity. It doesn't.

Another Very good company that I can attest to is AAC (Advanced Armament Inc) Advanced Armament :: Home I have one of there 7.62sd cans and I've shot side by side with a work rifle with an AWC can on and bystanders said that mine was noticibly quiter and it's a quick detatch can, vs a thread on. If mine were a thread on it would be even more quiet. The AAC cans are cheaper, lighter, have a better dB rating and better made.

xdeano
Old 07-21-2010, 04:54 PM
PUBLISHER

Quote:
Does the suppressor affect the accuracy of the rifle
I would expect it's weight hanging on the end of the barrel to affect barrel harmonics and therefor you may have to re-tune your load -- assuming you added to a rifle that already had been shot.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 07-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Silver Member

Yeah it will change your point of impact from having the can on vs off. I've had no problems with it changing my harmonics much, but you can tell it does a little.

xdeano