Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Model 700 XCR Long Range Tactical Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2007, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

Model 700 XCR Long Range Tactical Rifle

I'm looking at getting a new .300 Winchester sometime within the next year and have been eyeballing a new Sendero SF II. I happened to discover an advertisement for Remington's new Model 700 XCR Long Range Tactical Rifle and was wondering if anyone had any experience/educated opinions about the rifle, TriNyte coating, or the B&C stock? If it doesn't shoot well can I send it off and have it accurized without destroying the TriNyte? Do you think Remington put any extra effort into this rifle or did they just crank it out like all of the others (sometimes precision rifle, sometimes jack handle)? Thanks
Old 06-01-2007, 05:34 AM
Gold Member

Re: Model 700 XCR Long Range Tactical Rifle

I would go with the Sendero-II (I did, I bought one!!)

The LE rifles from Rem are not the the premium of the line - they look cool, but remember that 200 yards is a loooooong shot for LE.

I bought my Sendero-II on the recommendation of three of my friends who are using them for 1,000 yd "F" class match rifles, "out of the box".

The B&C stock is nothing to brag about.

The Sendero-II stock is an H-S Precision with an Aluminum foundation/bedding block. It is one of the best stocks around.

My Sendero-II is the best shooting, large calibre, factory rifle I have ever had.

Just my dime's worth.

LRH member #23
Old 06-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Bronze Member

For the money you would be better off with either a 700P or a Sendero.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:58 AM

I have an XCR and I only paid 1150 for it here in CANADA. I'ts full length aluminum bedded the same as the Sendero, I like the B&C myself.The barrels are the same dia. The fluting job is better on the tactical, I compared both rifles.If it didn't shoot I don't think Remington would put it in their "Tactical" line up and call it a "long range" if they did wouldn't that be false advertising??? Just my opinion for what it's worth.Have a good day.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Silver Member

I got an XCR Tactical 308 for Christmas this year. I have not shot it yet, but it is a very nice rifle. The finish is very smooth and it also has a 40x trigger. The action is the smoothest factory 700 action I have ever seen. It is overall one of the nicest feeling guns I have ever owned. I am not an expert, but I cannot see Remington building a tactical rifle to any less standard than any other rifle.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

"The LE rifles from Rem are not the the premium of the line - they look cool, but remember that 200 yards is a loooooong shot for LE."

why would you make a statement like that? Do you honestly think that they would market a rifle as being tactical or life saving that was not at the top of their food chain? just because 99% of police snipers will never make a shot on a call out past 100 yds let alone 200yds does not meen that their weapon should be any less accurate especialy when their shot window may only be seconds long and few inches wide and sombodys life is on the line why would you want anything less than the best for this?

Anyway , from what I was told the new XCR tactical rifles are ment to be every bit as accurate as their other precision rifles and just a step below their 40x's out of the custom shop and that many will shoot right with custom tactical rifles.
Remington went with B&C stocks for a little while rather than the more costly HS stocks , from what I understand the differance was that the B&C stocks were not filled at first then not filled with a dense enough foam later and the cost was not a big enough factor.

The B&C Medalist stoks are just as capible as any HS stock made.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:05 PM

The Sendero is not a better rifle!!! The finish on the Sendro is rough and looks like low quality metal, and it does not have the 40X trigger, to say the least.

I own a .308 in the XCR Tactical. It shoots under 1/2" at 100 yards, out of the freaking box with 168 A-max and 168 Berger. Show me a Sendero can do better for the money.

I shot my first buck this year, one shot, using 168 A-max at 340 yards, DOTS. Can a Sendero do any better?

For the money, you can't better the XCR Tactical.