Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Mitutoyo Calipers worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Mitutoyo Calipers worth it?

No ramps here. I use the overhead crane and a set of web machinery slings to lift the bikes. Put the drain plugs at eye level. Works like a charm. IR air hoist on an air operated trolley btw.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Bronze Member

I am a machinist and find really good deals on quality calipers on Ebay. Stick with Mitatoyo, brown and sharp, or Starret.

Speedy.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

The OP already bought the Mitutoyo's. Hopefully he hasn't used them for a 'clamp' yet.....

But then I know he won't....
Old 03-02-2013, 12:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
The OP already bought the Mitutoyo's. Hopefully he hasn't used them for a 'clamp' yet.....

Nope........ Thats what the $35 pair is for now...

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 03-02-2013, 03:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post

kinda reminds of a certain woman that was an inspector on a production line. She used regular micrometers and never saw a bad part! But the parts didn't fit when they tried to assemble them. After doing some checking it came down to the lady and they found out that he she kept tightening them she'd get whatever reading she was after. They retrained here in the use of precision measuring tools and she did OK after that (about 35 years ago)
gary
Old 05-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Platinum Member

Well my Mitutoyo took a crap on me today. I tried new batteries but no dice. It works fine until i get to about 3.8" then it starts reading error, and quickly flashes and changes back and forth between 3.2/4.2 (should actually be 4.2) and then it has a spasm and is reading all over the ballpark without me moving the jaws. I have never dropped it, always put it back in the case when i was done, never had the jaws completely close when storing it... So what do you guys suggest i do to get a replacement? I bought it through amazon but i dont know how helpful they will be. Do you suggest i try contacting Mitutoyo?

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 05-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

Contact them directly, they will help.