Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Mitutoyo Calipers worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Mitutoyo Calipers worth it?

Good dialogue on calipers. I like the Brown Sharpe link here. Thanks
Old 02-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

Cry once and buy the good stuff. In the long run you will be pleased.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Got them on tuesday and have been comparing...... these are awesome! The difference in quality is amazing! I measured the flex, when it is set so it slides easiest, it has .0015" of flex, when it is tight but still movable, .0005". Im pleased.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 02-16-2013, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Since i have been extending my shooting distances i feel i need to take my reloading up a notch and upgrade from my cheap ($35) calipers to a mitutoyo, specifically this one Mitutoyo ABSOLUTE 500-196-20 Digital Caliper, Stainless Steel, Battery Powered, Inch/Metric, 0-6" Range, +/-0.001" Accuracy, 0.0005" Resolution: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific i want to know if it will be worth it to buy the cheaper mitutoyo, or if you have to jump to the $250 models to notice a difference in quality from the cheap $40-$20 calipers. Thanks
Riley....

In order of revelance and quality, price notwithstanding....

L.S. Starrett, Athol Mass.
Mitutoyo, Osaka, Japan
Brown and Sharp
Fred Fowler

If I were you, I'd get a 6" pair (don't know why they call them pairs but they do, maybe because they have a fixed and moveable jaw) of LSS dial calipers in brushed stainless. I believe you can get them for around 110 bucks. Those are my go to calipers in the shop. The rack is covered, the dial is settable for absolute repetitive measurements (like you want to '0' at a case length and compare subsequent cases.... Plus the rack extends out the back of the caliper body so if you add a depth indicating base, the caliper becomes a dial depth micrometer. I usr that all the time too. Want to check your set primer depth? Use the depth gage acessory.

I like analog calipers and mikes. I have digital, direct read but I like the analog dial ones better but thats my preference.

Second choice would be Mititoyo. I remember when Mititoyo was first imported to this country back in the mid 60's. We all laughed at the Japanese junk and it was a bit crude, but with the advent of ISO standards and stringent QC. Mititoyo is just as good as LSS or B&S today.

Third would be Brown and Sharp. Lots of B&S precision tools today are made in Switzerland by Fred Fowler so I rate B&S and Fowler together.

All the above are comparable. The best resale and the ones that hold their value are of course, LSStarrett. Most LSS precision tools can be resold for very little loss.... and they last forever with proper care.

I still have and use in the shop, the LSS Last Word Indicator set and the 0-1 mike my dad gave me when I started my apprentiship at Standard Products in 1968. They are just as accurate now as they were then.

Good tools will outlast you....always.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Riley....

In order of revelance and quality, price notwithstanding....

L.S. Starrett, Athol Mass.
Mitutoyo, Osaka, Japan
Brown and Sharp
Fred Fowler

If I were you, I'd get a 6" pair (don't know why they call them pairs but they do, maybe because they have a fixed and moveable jaw) of LSS dial calipers in brushed stainless. I believe you can get them for around 110 bucks. Those are my go to calipers in the shop. The rack is covered, the dial is settable for absolute repetitive measurements (like you want to '0' at a case length and compare subsequent cases.... Plus the rack extends out the back of the caliper body so if you add a depth indicating base, the caliper becomes a dial depth micrometer. I usr that all the time too. Want to check your set primer depth? Use the depth gage acessory.

I like analog calipers and mikes. I have digital, direct read but I like the analog dial ones better but thats my preference.

Second choice would be Mititoyo. I remember when Mititoyo was first imported to this country back in the mid 60's. We all laughed at the Japanese junk and it was a bit crude, but with the advent of ISO standards and stringent QC. Mititoyo is just as good as LSS or B&S today.

Third would be Brown and Sharp. Lots of B&S precision tools today are made in Switzerland by Fred Fowler so I rate B&S and Fowler together.

All the above are comparable. The best resale and the ones that hold their value are of course, LSStarrett. Most LSS precision tools can be resold for very little loss.... and they last forever with proper care.

I still have and use in the shop, the LSS Last Word Indicator set and the 0-1 mike my dad gave me when I started my apprentiship at Standard Products in 1968. They are just as accurate now as they were then.

Good tools will outlast you....always.
SidecarFlip,

I have the mitutoyos now, the rack does come out the back so it can be used as a depth caliper, they can be set absolute with the push of a button. They were $108 from amazon, they are the 6" pair.

Trickymissfit, changing the battery could not be any easier. On the front face of the caliper there is a small black 'bulge' under the word mitutoyo, there is a small tab that slides right out and gives access to the batteries, no tools required and take maybe 10 second to switch them out.

Riley

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 02-16-2013, 11:12 PM
Platinum Member

Riley...

Not back, end. Front is the read side back is the backside.

Thats IP54 rated btw. Just means you can splash coolant on them with no adverse effects. You'll need to get the depth base. Not sure if the LSS base fits the Mititoyo but it might. Maybe Gary knows.

I would have told you to get a set of 60 division verniers but thats too complicated for today. Thats for Gary and I to fiddle with......

Mititoyo has come a long way from the 'junk' they sold in the mid 60's.

Don't use them for a clamp and don't store them with the jaws completely closed.

Now you need a good 0-1 micrometer and some inside and outside Yankee style calipers....

Fowler makes a nice 0-1 IP54 rated carbide anvil mike that reads inch and metric with 0.0001 resolution. I have one for a shop mike. It was around 50 bucks. Comes with a ball anvil too.

When you are done using your tools, take a lint free rag with a tiny bit of light oil and wipe them carefully and put them away. Fingerprints, even on stainless, will tarnish the finish.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

..........I hate the Starrett analog calipers (dial type). They're just a pain to reset the zero to the 12 oclock position. The Mitutoyos are the easiest, and you can do it in about a minute. That's one single advantage the digital ones have over the others as you can reset the zero very easilly.........

Gary, thats terrible. I have no issues with mine. Must be you are getting old and shake too much.......

I still prefer the verniers but when in a hurry, the analog (dial) or the digital... in that order.