Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Mitutoyo Calipers worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Mitutoyo Calipers worth it?

run the jaw surfaces over your fingers before setting zero. A little grit goes a long way.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Since i have been extending my shooting distances i feel i need to take my reloading up a notch and upgrade from my cheap ($35) calipers to a mitutoyo, specifically this one Mitutoyo ABSOLUTE 500-196-20 Digital Caliper, Stainless Steel, Battery Powered, Inch/Metric, 0-6" Range, +/-0.001" Accuracy, 0.0005" Resolution: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific i want to know if it will be worth it to buy the cheaper mitutoyo, or if you have to jump to the $250 models to notice a difference in quality from the cheap $40-$20 calipers. Thanks
the very first tool I bought when I started my apprenticeship was a 4" Mitutoyo dial caliper (March or April 1970). I was pretty hard on them, and must have dropped them a hundred times. Had to reset them another hundred fifty times, but still use them today. On a Jo-block they still are square, and show very little flex. I did have to replace the plastic lense a couple times due to damage and getting so yellowed that they were hard to read. I now have about six or eight pairs of different sizes. Some are digital and others are analog. I prefer the digital ones, and tend to use a pair of Starretts or Brown & Sharpes the most at home. In my range box the first pair I ever owned still resides.

You might want to try ENCO's website, as they are usually the cheapest out there.
gary
Old 01-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

with the Starrets, I change batterys about once every 18 months. The plate on the back side will slide to one side disconnecting the battery, and allowing it to last much longer. The B&S is different, but also disconnect the battery. Never had a Mitutoyo digital caliper, so don't know how the battery is setup in them.
gary
Old 01-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member

went over to the ENCO website to see what they had, and you can select from several sizes and qualities. There were several you can buy from $120 to $190 that will do most anything you ever want. I didn't check the Starretts or B&S's, but last time I looked they also sold them as well.
gary
Old 01-18-2013, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

The one from the link to amazon is $115.51

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 01-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
The one from the link to amazon is $115.51
that's probably the one ENCO lists for $117. Probably plenty good enough for the OP needs. If you can get by with a 4" pair, then do it. Saves you some money. Mitutoyo do see a 4.25" set of analog calipers that will do 99% of all reloading chores. That's the pair I've had for a long time.
gary

Last edited by Trickymissfit; 01-19-2013 at 12:00 PM. Reason: data
Old 01-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

Trickymissfit, would you go with this one over the mitutoyo i posted a link to earlier? Brown & Sharpe 00590091 Digital Caliper, Stainless Steel, Battery Powered, Inch/Metric, 0-6" Range, +/-0.001" Accuracy, 0.0005" Resolution, Meets DIN 862 Specifications: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific A 4" caliper wont work for my needs, measureing the base to shoulder length of a 300 RUM using the hornady insert thing is pretty long.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/