Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Mitutoyo Calipers worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

Mitutoyo Calipers worth it?

Since i have been extending my shooting distances i feel i need to take my reloading up a notch and upgrade from my cheap ($35) calipers to a mitutoyo, specifically this one Mitutoyo ABSOLUTE 500-196-20 Digital Caliper, Stainless Steel, Battery Powered, Inch/Metric, 0-6" Range, +/-0.001" Accuracy, 0.0005" Resolution: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific i want to know if it will be worth it to buy the cheaper mitutoyo, or if you have to jump to the $250 models to notice a difference in quality from the cheap $40-$20 calipers. Thanks

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 01-17-2013, 10:37 PM
Gold Member

Re: Mitutoyo Calipers worth it?

The mitutoyo's are awesome! I have a cheap pair of RCBS that read super consistent but I have to replace the batteries on a monthly basis. I had a pair of Mitutoyo's that I easily used for 2 or 3 hours a day for 5 days a week at work and could probably go 6 months before I needed a new battery.

The Mitutoyo will repeat amazing and are definitely nicer than the cheaper calipers. With my cheap RCBS calipers I feel I need to check their accuracy every time I use them, with the Mitutoyo I would check them only if I dropped them.

You'll need to buy a micrometer set to get more accurate readings.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

I will be using it mostly for bullet seating and trimming. And measuring odds and ends around the house.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

Old 01-18-2013, 12:00 AM
Gold Member

In the long run you'll be happy with them. They're worth the hundred bucks
Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 AM

I just bought the Mitutoyo you are looking at barnesuser28 to replace my $40 dollar one. there is no comparison. i went to it because its what we use at my place of business for checking dimensions of bearing and seals and it is very accurate and repeatable which is one the most important things. In my opinion the whole feel of the caliper is different than a $40 one way tighter tolerance on the caliper
Old 01-18-2013, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member

Riley,

How are you measuring COL? If its from point to base the better calipers won't make much difference. If your measuring from base to ogive then it definitely will.

One improvement is that what you are looking at will last your lifetime, if you aren't a clutz and drop 'em on a regular basis or use them as a wrench. Whereas the 29.95 Harbor Freight stuff will need to be replaced every 5 or less years if used regularly. 150/$30 = 50 bucks every 5 years. At your age it'd be worth it. @ my age I'd be wasting a hundred bucks.

When I kick the bucket I want all my tools broken down and worn out all barrels shot out and tired from shooting so far, be dead broke (pun) and the horse to find its way home.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

Roy,
Base of case to ogive, of course. I think i will try to convince my dad that we need these if we want to shoot an animal at 1K . If not i will buy it with my own $. I should also mention that my $35 calipers when i close them they usually dont return to exact 0, usually off .001 but sometimes .002" , i cant have a .004-.005 seating depth tolerence in my ammo. Wouldnt it be great if you (not neccessarily you, Roy) shot out your last barrel the day before passing.

I'm 16
~George Washington

~ JE Custom