Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Meindle boot break in -need some help-

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2005, 09:03 PM
Bronze Member

Meindle boot break in -need some help-

Itís been over 2 weeks and these things are still pinching my toes every time I take a step. The pinch is right on top of my toes at the first lace eyelet. Itís on both boots and I canít seem to break them in. Iíve never had such a hard time with boots before. Iíve tried getting them wet (twice) and walking them dry, but its about 90+ degrees, so they dry out fairly fast and it didnít make any difference. On Friday I leave for Homer AK to visit, and then go moose hunting for 2 weeks. I go through about 2 pairs of boots a year while hunting, so my old boots are trashed. These have got to work by Friday! If you have any advice on how to break these things in besides getting a different pair of boots (no time) please share it with me!

Glen
Old 08-29-2005, 10:49 PM
Silver Member

Re: Meindle boot break in -need some help-

Try this:

Get them wet and lather them up with saddle soap. Lay down as much and the leather can hold. Let them dry. Do this a couple of times, you probably won't have to wear them while you are doing this since the pivot points are already there from you walking in them already. Once that leather is softened (and more flexible), then it shouldn't pinch you.

Hopefully this will help you out.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:46 PM
Gold Member

If they are tight in the toe area, you might do better to go to a good shoe repairman. He can really stretch the toe box area better than you can and you are short on time. If the box area is really small for your feet, all the tricks in the world won't help much because you need a big stretch for fit. Good luck. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2005, 12:31 AM
Gold Member

Heatseekins
Re-lace the boots so that there is no lace running through first eyelets (ie where the boots are bothering you (and maybe even second too)). With these parts now untightened, you may get the space you need.....I had the same problem with a pair of meindls, neither boot is now laced through the 'big toe knuckle' eyelet.
Hope this helps, if not, get some different boots PDQ [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2005, 09:13 AM
Bronze Member

In town we donít have any stores that carry anything decent besides Danners and Iíve never been able to get Danners that fit me good and didnít leave blisters. I looked for something in Spokane a couple months ago, but all I could find were either high top hiking shoes, 600 gram insulated boots and more Danners!

I went to the boot guy in town and asked him. He said the fit on these boots are as good as it gets. This is my third pair from cabelas I tried one size smaller- too small. And one size larger and it was a bit sloppy. He is the one that suggested getting them wet and walking around. It helped the left boot, but the right still pinches.
Maybe I didnít get them wet enough?
What is the correct way to get a boot wet without destroying the Gortex? What would you guys think about soaking them in hot water for an hour then hiking in the hills instead of just walking around? Maybe salty water so it absorbs more into the leather?

Being a taxidermist I do have some special tanning chemicals that I use to soften up tough tanned hides so they give better stretch (mainly African), but I want to reserve that for my last resort when I have nothing to loose. Witch will be Thursday

Brown dog, I tried re lacing them like you suggested, but I still have the same problemÖÖ.

Have you guys noticed that when you find a boot that fits perfect and doesnít leak they quit making them!!!!!! I hate new boots

Glen
Old 08-30-2005, 10:25 AM
Silver Member

Take the boots, and fill them up with water in the shower, and leave them there overnight full of water, then the next mourning just put your feet in them (without pouring the water out) and walk.

Now a better way is to get some neets foot oil(leather softner) and take rough sand paper and scouf the out side of the boots pretty good and soak the boots in a bucket of the softner overnight, and repeat. After that they'll be soft. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Gold Member

I've rather assumed from the posts that the boots have goretex inners...this will stop the 'fill with water' idea working...a 2hr walk in a stream/marsh would achieve the required effect.

Neatsfoot was certainly the 'application' of choice at work for 'problem boots' ...give it a try ...but these are Meindls; I suspect these boots simply don't match your foot shape.

If you're stuck with them, try different thickness footbeds...particularly thinner ...or if you're wearing 2 pairs of socks try them with just one pair. -or thinner socks etc

Good Luck!