Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

McMillan Stocks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

McMillan Stocks?

Would anyone be able to tell me if McMillan make stocks to suit Sako L691 actions and heavy barrels?

I have never purchased a stock on its own before and have no idea if you have to get a smith to make them fit or what?!

any info is appreciated

cheers
Old 01-13-2006, 01:36 AM

Re: McMillan Stocks?

Hi, here is a URL link that might be of interest, and if not then I would definitely e mail MacMillan, as they are most helpful in my own experience.

I have a Sako stock that they inlet for the Tikka 595 action, and it is a fine piece of kit. I ordered thru a gunsmith here in UK, but they were just as happy to take a direct order. Good Luck with your project!

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan/hunting/sako.asp
Old 01-13-2006, 01:45 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Peter, when they say "minor customising" what has to be done?

cheers
Old 01-13-2006, 07:02 AM
Silver Member

Skip

Iv'e dealt with Mcmillan a couple of times, they are very, very helpful and will answer any questions you have promptly. If you e-mail Kelly Mcmillan direct at this address - kelly@mcmfamily.com you should get the answer you want.

They do have profiles for alot of older Sako actions and can inlett - where possible other makers stocks to suit your action inlett.

I have found that here in the UK, importers tend to just swap the $ sign for a sign instead of converting at the exchange rate - I am not sure what the situation is in Oz but to avoid being ripped off, I would certainly consider going direct.

Andy
Old 01-14-2006, 01:36 AM

The minor customising probably refers to the detail fit of the Tiika tang on the rear of the action, I know that Callum at PRS had to 'firkle' with it to get a perfect fit, and thats one of the reasons I had the stock supplied and fitted by a proper gunsmith, during the custom project, rather than making a mess of the 350$ stock by doing it myself. If I knew how to add photos easily in the site, I could send you one, but...... I don't have web hosting and all that stuff for a few pics. LOL

Once again, good luck, whichever way you decide to go, you wont regret it.

Peter H
Old 01-14-2006, 04:13 AM
Gold Member

Peter,
Wow! Ordering a stock through Callum must be THE most expensive option available in UK! ..how much did he 'rush' you to fit it?
Old 01-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
The minor customising probably refers to the detail fit of the Tiika tang on the rear of the action, I know that Callum at PRS had to 'firkle' with it to get a perfect fit, and thats one of the reasons I had the stock supplied and fitted by a proper gunsmith, during the custom project, rather than making a mess of the 350$ stock by doing it myself. If I knew how to add photos easily in the site, I could send you one, but...... I don't have web hosting and all that stuff for a few pics. LOL

Once again, good luck, whichever way you decide to go, you wont regret it.

Peter H

[/ QUOTE ]

Pete,

I think that this is what you are referring to?

IMHO

it makes no difference whatsoever to the way the rifle shoots, it may be just a little of an "oversize" fit at the tang, but when the gun still shoots in the .3's after a couple of thousand rounds, who cares.

FWIW, this stock (Sako Varmint inltted for Tikka 595)cost me 260 to import with tax and the dreaded vat included, i'd like to see PRS match that [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

PRS may have a reputation for fine work, but there are alot cheaper smiths of comparable quality out there if you look.