Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

McMillan Stock Recomendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2003, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member

Re: McMillan Stock Recomendations

Dave,
Damn, somebody does read the gibberish that I write [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Thanks for the mention, that was a superb shooting rifle and believe it or not we were shooting factory Failsafes. No doubt the credit for those groups was the fact that George was calling the wind and doing the real work.
Another time we shot a McHale stocked .308 built by a fellow up here in Canada and that rifle would not shoot over a half minute, fantastic field shooting rifle, not uncommon to shoot five into the 2's or 3's. Someone bought that rifle right out from under me - life is a bitch...
Could it be that McHale stocked rifles all shoot great??
Old 10-30-2003, 08:22 PM

The McHale is the stock I chose to replace the Holland HV I had on the Tomahawk. I just printed the order form and am filling it out tonight.
Its going to be some 3 color marble pattern (yet to be determined)with a thumbwheel cheekpiece and a Decelerator pad. It will remain a single shot with an ADL triggerguard from Williams.If anyone has any suggestions on a color pattern that will look good with an all matte stainless rifle, I'll listen...I don't care for red...
Old 10-31-2003, 05:13 PM
Bronze Member

Ian,
If the tube is good and the riflesmith is at all compentent/conscientious, then I think, yes, all McHale-stocked rifles do shoot great. Many riflesmiths who have built rifles into the McHale have told me that there is no mystery to this, too. They all talk about how the deep, thick belly of the stock holds the barreled action with much more authority than that of other, lighter sporter and/or tactical stocks. Also, they have told me, the forearm is fairly broad and flat, which means is rides solidly in the bags or on the ground with a bipod underfoot.

I'm gonna do a Nesika actioned stick in a McHale chambered for the .338 Lapua inside the next 2-3 years. I expect it to be 'The End' in the way of my long range rifle projects.

Dave

PS - Ian, let's make it a point to get together to shoot or even hunt sometime before we can't!!!
Old 10-31-2003, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

Dave,
Might just happen - we have kids moving to Houston in Nov, will mean some visits. Excellent excuse to get out of frozen Sask. in the winter.

You know more about the McHale than I do, excellent info.

A Nesika in a McHale with a 30-odd inch Lilja in .338 Lapua with a 5.5-22 NXS in Max 50's would certainly be tough to take [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2003, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

Dave,
Might just happen - we have kids moving to Houston in Nov, will mean some visits. Excellent excuse to get out of frozen Sask. in the winter.

You know more about the McHale than I do, excellent info.

A Nesika in a McHale with a 30-odd inch Lilja in .338 Lapua with a 5.5-22 NXS in Max 50's would certainly be tough to take [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2003, 06:19 AM
Bronze Member

Ian,
You have no idea how fortunate I consider myself that you'll soon have ties to Houston, Texas. This increases the odds enormously that you'll be able to come down for an antelope (Blackbuck) hunt sometime in the coming years! Oh joy!!! Let me know when the ole' offspring settle in down here.

Dave