Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

McMillan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2006, 08:44 AM
Silver Member

McMillan

Well today I faxed Kelly Mc Millan and I'm hoping for a reply. But I'm not sure I'll get one.

This is a short review of dealing with McM for me so far. The website says "We are here for you", but that's a hollow promise in my experience.

My 10-12 week shipment is around 19 weeks I think and I'm not getting replies to e-mails, or "out of office" responses, so I figure the e-mails are received and just not replied to. Actually I know that because after I call I get a reply on my last e-mail!

I called twice today and couldn't get an operator or any of the other extensions that I tried.

Last I heard from McM was that my stock would ship in around 3 weeks (after calling to follow up on an e-mail that wasn't replied to) and that ws around 4 weeks ago. My last e-mail sent in response to that remains unanswered.

Because of my love of shooting ang hunting I've done a lot of business with companies over the internet, by phone and fax in the US. I've never experienced this type of thing before.

I wonder if the McM's even know how the customers are finding doing business with them.

Now I've made a game of it. I'll see if I can shoot the barrel out before the stock arrives! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

WL
Old 07-13-2006, 10:52 AM
daveosok

Re: McMillan

Thats pretty much the story you'll find most common when dealing with McMillan.

They have contracts to fill and your single order can be put on the back burner for as long as it takes for them to complete the contract order.

Although they cater as well to the single guys their money maker is in contracts, therefore the single orders are subject to a long wait.

My buddy has been waiting 4 months plus or longer when originally told 8 to 12 weeks or so. I think hes coming up on 5 months here shortly.

If he reads this he can actually give you the exact data.

If youre wanting a A5 try Joel Russo he makes a very nice laminated style A5 in almost any action/barrel contour and you'll get it in two weeks. You can find his product by doinga search for laminated A5 here.

Dave
Old 07-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member

Dave is right , I was gonna order an A5 from McM for my Sako L691 and they said that its not that common of an inlet so it may take a little longer than normal , and that worried me.
So I shipped out my current stock to Joel Russo yesterday so he can duplicate the inlet.
besided the colors he has a realy nice !! and hes saying that it shoulden't take but a few weeks after he get my stock to ship out the new one
Old 07-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Silver Member

I have been waiting 15 weeks for my stock. The last one took 17 weeks and the one before that was 21 weeks. MCM makes a great stock but these long waits are getting old. I have wondered for years why the do not expand and produce more stocks. I have cut them a little slack because I am sure they are producing allot of stocks for the military. But I will say my next stock I will shop around first and check out some of the other good stocks on the market. Maybe the long wait time is good, it sure cuts down on the impulse buying!
Old 07-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Gold Member

I'm looking at another stock. I've been thinking about one of Jim Borden's Rimrock stocks.

I have 2 Mcmillian stocks and they are both amazing stocks. But the wait is a pain.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Kevin Rayhill of Stockade gunstocks makes some nice stocks , his primary inlet is for the Savages but he says he'll inlet for others.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:40 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Popularity and quality generally add up to a delay in shipping time. The problem with the A series stocks from McMillan is that we as civilians have to compete with the military for the same stocks.

I know there is no one on this board that minds adding a few weeks to there shipping time so that our boys get the stocks first!!

As far as dealing with McMillan, e-mails are out, not even worth the time of typing one up. You will never get a reply from an e-mail to McMillan, at least I never have.

I do not know how many stocks I have ordered from McMillan but I learned long ago you get them a hard copy of the order. I typed up an order form of my own design on the computer, fill it out for each stock order and fax it into McMillan. I then file that order form with a date I faxed it and any other information I may need.

If you even need to get ahold of McMillan, you better call them. They like most smaller companies have the stange nak for taking vacations when you really need something. When they close down, they CLOSE DOWN. Alot of the companies in the firearms industry do this. Redding is famous for shutting down the plant for two weeks in the summer and during the shot show as well. McMillan is no different.

Many have asked me why McMillan does not get more automated and expand. I hope they never do. If they do, you will get a mass produced stock instead of a one of a kind piece of art like you get now.

In my opinion, they are well worth the wait to get what I feel is the best composite stock being made currently.

Keep in mind, if you order a stock that is also in use with the Military, your wait will be longer then it will be for most hunting stocks.

In this day and age, I have no problem waiting a bit more for the troops to get what they need. They need it alot more then I do.

Just my opinion, take it for what its worth.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com