Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

McGowen barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 04:12 PM

McGowen barrels

Has anybody have any experience with mcGowen barrels. Good or bad, I'd like to hear from you. I spent alot of money on a custom rifle in which my builder suggested one of these. Just wondering if I made a costly mistake!
Old 05-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Gold Member

Re: McGowen barrels

I've got one, it shoots very nice. they have awesome deals on pistol barrels...
Old 05-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

I have experience w/ two, so far they are very good. Broke in easily, and shoot well. No fouling problems.

Steve
Old 05-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Silver Member

I have 2 of them.

I bought the first one over a year ago. It's a 10t .308 bull barrel for a Savage action. It broke in real easy. My best group so far is a .212", but it will shoot in the low to mid .3" range all day long @ 100, and I can usually keep them around .5" @200. It cleans very easily with just a few patches, and almost no copper fouling at all.

Since my 308 shot so good I just bought another one in 6br about a month ago. I've only been to the range a couple times with it, just breaking the barrel in and testing some varmint loads. The 87gr vmax/Varmint combo is already shooting in the .3-.4's, and I havent messed with any seating depths or anything yet. I cant wait to see how it does with some match Bergers. This barrel cleans just as good as the other one too.

Bottom line is I think you made a good investment. They are just as good as Shilen and the like.

About the only problem I've heard with them is where they had to rent a reamer because they didnt have the one the customer wanted.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:00 PM

thanks for the info guys. It gives me some piece of mind. I've been pretty partial to Hart and Douglas tubes though. I guess you have to trust you builder, but it helps to hear it from the shooters. As for the reamers they are often short on comes from 4-D reamers, which is Z-Hat out of WY. This I know for a fact, because Z-Hat is my builder. He has the good stuff and seems to really know his bussiness. I'm having a 6mm WSM built by him. It will be ready in a couple of weeks. I cant wait to diagest a load in this overboared, barrel burnin goat killer. Know anybody who has played that game yet? Should could use that info to save on my primers!!!!
Old 01-27-2013, 12:07 PM

I have never used one yet but plan to in a 17 cal wildcat if McGowen wiil do it. in response to your question. I have found you will get a lot of opions good and bad. the best way is to try one. I have used several different barrels by well known gun barrel makers. not always happy. but could different reason,s why.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Gold Member

I built a 6WSM on a Mcgowen barrel about 8 month ago. It shot pretty well but the velocity wasn't what I hoped before I saw pressure. 3450fps with a 105 Amax was about max with any kind of accuracy. I shot Retumbo and H5010 in it mostly with the nod going to Retumbo. R-33 would probably be a better powder because you can load 3-4grain more of it then Retumbo and the velocities are pretty good in my 6.5-300wm.