Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Manners UL (ultralight) stock...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Manners UL (ultralight) stock...

Thanks adam32 and James Jones.

I'll probably need a #7 contour for a 30" fluted barrel to stiffen it enough won't I? Still think this will work in the Manners UL stock? Could I add a DE adj. cheekpiece to the UL stock?

Thanks,

jon

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
Thanks adam32 and James Jones.

I'll probably need a #7 contour for a 30" fluted barrel to stiffen it enough won't I? Still think this will work in the Manners UL stock? Could I add a DE adj. cheekpiece to the UL stock?

Thanks,

jon
Not sure about the contour, JJ will probably know. You could also look into an ABS carbon barrel.

I think if you go with the UL stock it will balance really funny. Call up Tom Manners, he will talk you through the stock cheekpiece.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

If you guys were to pick a Joel Russo stock, for a build like this where I'm trying to keep weight down, what would you reccomend?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
If you guys were to pick a Joel Russo stock, for a build like this where I'm trying to keep weight down, what would you reccomend?
I don't have any first hand experience with any of his stocks. I hear they are good quality though.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Joel's stocks are great and I highly recomend them , he may be able to remove some wood to lighten it but its still gonna be heavier than a composit , woods just heavier than fiberglass covered foam.

As for the barrel , a #7 is gonna weigh about 7lbs at 30 inches so that may be a bit much , stiff yes , but heavy
For a hunting rifle I'd get a light Palma conture , its cross between a sporter and Sendaro conture , and their 5.5 lbs at 31" , cut that back to say 28" and you should get plenty velocity from the 338 Lapua and cut about .75lbs off of it.
The ABS barrels are another choice , but your looking at $900 and last I heard a long wait.

You don't need a truck axle sized barrel for the gun to shoot accurately , you can get good accuracy from a pretty thin barrel , it may start to open the groups up alot faster but how many shots do you take in a row while hunting?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

"You don't need a truck axle sized barrel for the gun to shoot accurately , you can get good accuracy from a pretty thin barrel , it may start to open the groups up alot faster but how many shots do you take in a row while hunting?"

Well, that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out with the barrel portion of this question. I do want a 30" finished barrel that shoots to the same POI for a couple of quick shots, but I don't want a piece of artillery to pack around. So for a 30" fluted barrel contour that's a going to be very accurate for a couple of long shots (in terms of heat buildup with a 125g case capacity) but that I don't need a mule to pack around and that has enough material to be rechambered once, what would you all reccomend?

"Joel's stocks are great and I highly recomend them , he may be able to remove some wood to lighten it but its still gonna be heavier than a composit , woods just heavier than fiberglass covered foam."

Part of my thought re a laminate wood is that it's quieter with branches rubbing against it, etc. than composite, right? So, that' one pull towards laminate wood for me, but the weight is a more important pull.

JJ, what do you think about the Manners UL stock for this build?

Thanks,

Jon

Old 11-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member

Jon , I think that a barrel conture like the light Palma would easly hold MOA accuracy for a 3 shot group at extended ranges , a quality custom barrel like Rock Creek , Bartlein , Kreiger and so on will not walk nearly as bad as a factory barrel when it gets hot.
I have an old Weatherby MK-V in 300 WBY that has a soad straw thin barrel on it and its accurate for 3 shots then its hot and starts to move some and thats a factory forged barrel.
The heat build up is what causes the POI to move as the barrel heats up it startes to move basicaly pointing in a differant direction , the more stress that a barrel has in it the worse this is generaly , cut rifled barrels like the ones mentiond above will have the least about of stress even though all of the better barrels are stress relieved.

If you have two 338 Lapuas built , one with a sporter conture and one with a #7 conture and both shoot 1/2" 3 shot groups when fired over a period of 5 min , I highly doubt that the thinner barrel barrel will open the groups up much at all if the groups are fired 3 shots in 30 seconds.

As for the stocks , If I ever decide that I'm gonna build a light weight rifle the Manners stock will certainly be the one I use , the noise problem is not nearly as bad with a well made composite like Manners,McMillan and such as they are with the cheaper holllow stocks , they are filled with a reasonably dense foam so its not gonna have that hollow sound. Another option would be to paint the stock with a spray on bed liner type material and that wouldcertainly deaden the noise.

Look at some of the light weight guns that Kirby has built and check the profile on those as well as some that Dave Viers builds although that they use alot of carbon barrels