Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Manners UL (ultralight) stock...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member

Manners UL (ultralight) stock...

Hello all,

Would the Manners UL stock be a good stock to build 388 Lap Imp on using a Stiller Pred X action? What are the pros on cons of this stock for a build like this?

Thank you,

Jon

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: Manners UL (ultralight) stock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
Hello all,

Would the Manners UL stock be a good stock to build 388 Lap Imp on using a Stiller Pred X action? What are the pros on cons of this stock for a build like this?

Thank you,

Jon
I have the MCS-T (basically the same) and I'm not sure I would want it on a big rifle like a .338, especially the UL version.

But, it depends, is it a carry gun or a LR rig? If an LR rig, I would rather have their A5 style stock.

As far as quality, they are awesome and great people to deal with and quick wait times.

You might also make sure they will inlet for the Stiller action.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks adam32.

What I have in mind is a LR carry rifle. Morning and evening LR spotting and in the trees during the day potentially. Trying to keep weight down.

With this in mind and using a Stiller Pred X repeater action, what stocks in general would folks reccomend? I'm open to all suggestions, don't have to buy a Manners.

Thanks for the input!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-07-2008, 12:16 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
Thanks adam32.

What I have in mind is a LR carry rifle. Morning and evening LR spotting and in the trees during the day potentially. Trying to keep weight down.

With this in mind and using a Stiller Pred X repeater action, what stocks in general would folks reccomend? I'm open to all suggestions, don't have to buy a Manners.

Thanks for the input!
For an LR carry rifle, I would look into the MCS-T3, a little heavier then the UL though. How light are you wanting the complete rifle?

Also, who is doing your build? I just started looking into a .338 Lapua Improved and I think thats what I want for my next build!!
Old 11-07-2008, 01:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam32 View Post
For an LR carry rifle, I would look into the MCS-T3, a little heavier then the UL though. How light are you wanting the complete rifle?

Also, who is doing your build? I just started looking into a .338 Lapua Improved and I think thats what I want for my next build!!

I'm hoping to be under 12lbs with Seekins rail and rings and Mark 4 scope. I'm still very much in the research mode in all regards and would appreciate input.

Thank you!

Old 11-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

How big of barrel contour are you thinking? I would think 12lbs would be doable with a smaller contour barrel and a regular stock. I don't see any reason to go with an ultralight stock.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

Manners stocks are great , I will likely never use another McMillan stock as long as Manners is building them.

depending on the barrel conture and length would make a huge factor in weight , you can have a 30" #7 barrel and expect to cut weight else where.