Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Looking for a handheld radio review..........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2006, 12:05 AM
Silver Member

Looking for a handheld radio review..........

Looking for 10 to 12 handheld radios for all the guys in Elk camp this year. We have some FRS's currently that claim to be 5 mile range, but get more like 2 mile straight, unobstructed line performance. I know that some have come out this year claiming 12 to 15 mile performance (so, I'd expect that they would really do 5 to 7 miles in real world performance). I'm looking for some that would be under $100 a pair..........please give any experience you guys have on a long range set of handhelds......must have subchannels.
thx
jordan
Old 09-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: Looking for a handheld radio review..........

I know my old motorola 2 mile frs radios are real bad, they have new 5 watt radios out supposidly good for 16-18 miles. Those are the ones i would try next.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:15 PM
Silver Member

Here is a review of the "5 watt" version Midland has out......about what I've found to be true of the 5 watt motorolas I've tried too.........doesn't anyone have a TRUE 5-7 mile radio.

http://www.epinions.com/Midland_14_M...splay_~reviews
Old 09-02-2006, 07:42 AM
Platinum Member

Me thinks the only really reliable radio to do as you wish would be the satellite radio. Very pricey + usage minutes and I'm betting even they would be spotty when shadowed from direct view of the satellite.

I think that you may be between a rock and a hard place [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2006, 08:46 AM

Have you thought about obtaining an amateur radio license? It is Very Easy to do, and costs only $17.00 to take the test.

Radios such as the 5 watt, 2 meter Yaesu VX150 are MIL spec and cost anywhere from $65.00 - $120.00 (US); and they work exceptionally well. I have used this little hand held for several years and have been able to talk up to 65 miles away, using an external 1/4 wave antenna).

If you visit QRZ.com QRZ.COM you can learn more about amateur radio and take practice tests…
Old 09-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Gold Member

Have a pair of Midland GXT 550s. Used them in Glacier this Summer. Would work well a couple of miles in different canyons and bottom forrest. Better with a line of sight shot. Cost about $65 a pair with charger, batteries and headpiece.
db
Old 09-04-2006, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Me thinks the only really reliable radio to do as you wish would be the satellite radio. Very pricey + usage minutes and I'm betting even they would be spotty when shadowed from direct view of the satellite.

I think that you may be between a rock and a hard place [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My Sheriff and his deputies all have satellite phones. He tells me they haven't found a place yet they fail (His area is the little belt mountains Montana). He's got a pic on his desk of the biggest wolf I've ever seen (he shot it - legally). He's also seen Griz in the little Belts. He told me he pays $150/month and that gives him 150 free minutes/month.

Osamma said they worked everywhere in Afghanistan - a little too good (NSA was listening in).

I just bought a pair of 10 mile units ( $15 for the pair), they worked great for 2 miles. They exceeded my expectations. Got plenty of rock busting done this weekend.