Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Lightweight rear bag ideas ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

Lightweight rear bag ideas ...

Howdee ,

I do a lot of walking to get back away from the road warriors -so- a sandbag rear rest is out of the question.

I've did some research on 'fill' materials i could use and the best 'idea' so far is round-ish cork media -problem is it's not real round and i'm afraid it won't squeeze up and hold very well if it's not smooth and round.
I called a few makers of 'corky's' and such -who make fishing products [cork and plastic beads] that look like salmon eggs -they were not even remotely helpful -answer was -no we don't won't do that.Sounded like they suspected a hostile take-over of the corkys market..
Plastic beads are too heavy.

I'd like to find a product 'filler media' i could use for a rear-bag and possibly camp pillow --any ideas ???? what might work?????
Old 07-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

As a data point, I have a Caldwell rear bag filled with the beany baby beads and it weighs almost exactly 1.5 pounds. Although I'm very happy with it's performance, I'm always on the lookout for ways to lighten the pack. I've considered filling the rabbit ears with that expanding foam you use around windows etc. , since a little stiffness there wouldn't hurt. It might drop 2-3oz from the weight?

Keep us updated with your findings.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Gold Member

What material did they fill the bean bag chairs with? They were pretty large for their weight.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

Below is what I've used for quite a while now. I have a small aluminum carabiner type clip that I have clipped on the bag end handle all of the time. When needed I can just clip it on a belt clip or my pack and it's there when I need it. Never notice the weight and it works on edge or on end and has some squish to it so you can squeeze it to adjust.

View Larger Image RedMan Rear Bag: Woodland MARPAT

Price: $26.99

Usually ships in 2 days Made for Triad by RedMan, famous for his rear bag/sand sock production skills. These MARPAT bags are a Triad EXCLUSIVE! The bags have two straps, one the end and one on the side. These bags are made for us, with our company name (TRIAD) on the end strap. That way you can tell your friends where to get one when they try to steal YOURS!
Woodland MARPAT
6" tall and 4" across, Poly bead fill, about 1.33 pounds.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Silver Member

I stuff mine with airsoft pellets and its pretty light.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

I use some micro poly bead filling. It's like the bean bag chair filling but much smaller beads. Don't let them get loose on you, they are tough to get rounded back up. I found them while wandering around the sewing/quilting store waiting for my wife.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
I found them while wandering around the sewing/quilting store waiting for my wife.
Yea sure, now for the real story. LOL