Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Life of Coppermelt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2005, 09:30 AM
Silver Member

Life of Coppermelt

Hey, I am sure that this question has been asked before, but here it goes.

I have 2 bottles of Coppermelt. One of them has been sitting sine about February of this year at room temperature. I opened it this morning and it had pressure built up. Is this can still good? How long does this stuff last before it no longer cleans as good as when it is new?

The other can that I have I have been using since about the same time. It NEVER develops pressure, and I also was heated in the 40 degree sun for a few hours. When I put a few drops on a penny this morning, it barely turned a blue color. Is this can done? Will it still work at all?

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Life of Coppermelt

40C? that is only 104F...hope that didnt denature the enzyme [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

JB
Old 07-15-2005, 12:10 PM

I swear...I'm having bad dreams about this coppermelt stuff. Shooters choice and kroil for me... K.I.S.S.

Sheeezz...Wonder what they did back in the 60's 70's etc without coppermelt!

Off topic...Any good places to hunt near Saskatoon? Looks like I'll be traveling lots there [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Joe
Old 07-15-2005, 09:03 PM
Silver Member

Sounds like the one bottle is hosed.
Too hot = destroy enzymes.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

I have been using Coppermelt for over 1 year now and have seen the pressure build-up like you mention in a majority of the cans. I don't think it matters whether the temp is hot or cold but more along the lines of if it has a transition from hot to cold. It is completely normal and doesn't affect the performance of the product.

I have never seen or heard from the maker anything about a shelf life. I have this stuff stockpiled in amounts that will last me for 6 years and I fully expect the last can to be as good as the first. My original can went from 15 degrees to 95 degrees and from 4200 feet to 11,200 feet in one year and it was good to the last drop over the course of 1 year.

Honestly, you fellows are putting way to much stock in the idea that this stuff is weak and fragile. IT IS NOT!! This enzyme is strong enough to be immersed in ammonia (very slight, .05%) it's entire life 24/7. Trust me, you don't need to baby it anymore than you baby your Budweiser. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Sheeezz...Wonder what they did back in the 60's 70's etc without coppermelt

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder what they did back in the 1800's for transportation....oh yeah, they walked and rode horses. WHy would you ever want to hop in a brand new Ford GT when you could hop into a horse and buggy? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:43 AM

You got that right. I would much rather jump on a horse than hop into a FORD GT [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] A chevy...Ok but not a Ford! Things in life are tuff enough why complicate things. Our whole lives are complicated.

So...I'd much rather have the Horse and buggy. And my 6.5 LSR too hehehhehe

Joe