Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Leupold rings and bases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2005, 06:03 PM

Leupold rings and bases

I did a search last night and didn't find much on rings and bases so I figured I would put my .02 cents in on Leupold.

I had a set of Leupold rings and bases with the dovetailed front and their screw type rear. I went out to check my zero yesterday before my hunting trip this weekend. I could not get it to group. I got my rifle home to find that the slots on the rear ring where the screws on the base tighten down onto the ring were bent and distorted beyond belief. I dont know if it is because of the recoil (300 RUM) or if it was a manufacturing defect. I have a Mounting Solutions 1 piece picantinny base and Farrel rings on there way now. Ill let everyone know how they work once I get them here. For people looking into buying rings and bases, spend some extra money and save yourself some trouble. I will be switching everything I have to picantinny after this experience.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Leupold rings and bases

Do a search here for the words Badger Ordnance, probably get a lot of info on mounts. There are hunting grade mounts and there are tactical grade mounts. There is a big difference. Badgers, Nears, Nightforce and a couple of others cost money, but they are the best.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Gold Member

Well, I'll give my expensive lesson too with Leupold rings. They work just fine on any 'regular' rifle and scope combo. They do not work on light-weight magnums with big scopes. I have eaten two pairs of Leupold rings on my 300 RSAUM Model 7 with a Zeiss 4-14 on top. I don't need all that magnification on this particular rifle, but I do love the optics. The third pair appears to be holding their own, but the first set cost me about $150 worth of ammo and reloading stuff before I realized what the deal was and the second set cost me fifty bucks. That set was crap from the get go. When I get some additional funds, I want to put a Near base or some Burris Sig rings on their to give me 20 MOA or so. I don't think I will ever trust Leupold rings (or bases) on a custom rifle or LOUDENBOOMER RM calls'em. Costs too much in the end to have to replace everything, the bullets shot, time wasted and rezero work. I'll do it right from here on out now that I've learned my lesson the hard way (in the wallet)!
Old 12-06-2005, 01:04 PM
Silver Member

Talley rings and bases work on my 300 win and my 270 wsm great.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Gold Member

i had 2 sets of them break on me the screw head spilt in half on each set they where on my 300rum
Old 12-10-2005, 10:37 PM

I checked my brothers 7mm RUM and his are doing the same thing.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member

Try the Mark 4's...I doubt they'll do that.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl