Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Leupold Mark 4 Spotting Scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Silver Member

Leupold Mark 4 Spotting Scope

I am looking at getting one of the Lupy Mark 4 Spotting scopes and noticed that you can get a reticle in them. I have an MOA reticle in my scope and notice Horus Vision makes an SMOA reticle which is close. Does any one know of any other vendor that will change out the reticle in these spotting scopes? I call premier reticle and they do not do it. I would like a pure MOA reticle to match the scope instead of having one that is a little off.

Also, does anyone know the difference between the Mark 4 and the Gold Ring HD besides the body color and the reticle?

Thanks
SES50
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown
Old 07-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Platinum Member

Can honestly say I know of no one who uses one---many other products out there are a better value for the money. See what others post before you spend your money.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: Leupold Mark 4 Spotting Scope

I am looking at these too and would like some input from other owners with MOA based reticles.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Gold Member

I am looking at getting one of the Lupy Mark 4 Spotting scopes and noticed that you can get a reticle in them.

Just an Thought

Why would you want an Reticle In an Spotting Scope ?

How would it help you ?

Our am I missing Something ?

Kill more Coyotes

Feed The Buzzards
Old 09-18-2008, 07:33 AM
Silver Member

My understanding is the reticle helps the spotter in ranging the target and calling shots. Shawn Carlock promoted the M4 scope in his DVD. I haven't looked through the M4 yet and am still looking for the best combo of optics and packability.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Silver Member

I basically want the reticle in the spotting scope for two reason.

1. Measuring antler size at distance to decide if I am going to take the shot.
2. Calling shots when spotting or for someone to use when they are spotting for me.

The Leupold is the only spotting scope I think that you can get a reticle put in at this time and like I said Horus is the only vendor I know that has anything close to an MOA reticle.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown
Old 09-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Silver Member

USO builds a FFP scope with several different reticle options. For the experienced guy, it might be okay, but to start with I would want my rifle scope and spotter to be the same.