Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Lets talk about socks baby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 12:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lets talk about socks baby

A buddy is an exec in the outdoor industry. Buyers for his company recommended Bridgedale socks for me:

Bridgedale Summit Socks: Bridgedale Wool Fusion Summit Sock - Men's from Backcountry.com

Bridgedale Coolmax liners: Bridgedale CoolMax Liner Sock - 2 Pack - Men's from Backcountry.com

Have used these for years and have been quite happy in temps from 0-70F in 400g thinsulate boots. You'll be hard pressed to find a warmer sock than the Summit Sock above.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 08-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
This simply isn't true, but it's your feet so believe what you want.
It's not just what I believe, it's what I've experienced though guiding and instruction throughout 25+ years of mountaineering, hunting, climbing, backcountry skiing, trail running and hiking in the highest, roughest terrain and conditions imaginable. I put in over 40 miles and 7000 ft of elevation on trails a week. And, it's not just my feet. None of the people I spend time with in the backcountry wear liner socks anymore.

Just because liners are still being sold doesn't mean they're necessary. Use the correct weight sock for the conditions and you shouldn't have problems. But you believe what you want... or at least what you've been told/sold to believe.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Silver Member

I am a big fan of INgenius Socks (Cabela's sells them). The liner and insulating boot sock are knit together as one piece. It eliminates the bunching and friction that can be caused by wearing two socks. I have been on the hunt for the perfect sock, and so far these are the best I have found. I like the light weight because I do a ton of walking and would rather have cold feel for the time I am glassing then sweaty feet causing blisters when I am hiking. Getting a sock that fits perfect I think is just as important as getting a perfect fitting boot!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

Do you guys you liner socks at all or just one pair of nice wool socks?
Old 08-24-2012, 07:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
This simply isn't true, but it's your feet so believe what you want.
LL! I agree, my feet likes layers for the last 40+ years, a liner + 2 other woolies. In addition, I always carry extra socks in my pack.

There are a lot of things that are being sold that are not necessary in this materialistic world, but people (I included) buy and use them for whatever personal reason(s). The great thing about America is that we have plenty of choices. What we do with them is a different story.

Again, it's my dime, my feet!

Cheers!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member

Hmmm, I had no idea there was so much interest in socks. . . When I decided to learn to knit I started with socks. Took awhile to get it together but started with a sock for my right foot. The sock goes from toe to knee and is designed for my foot an leg. Lots of unraveling took place. Once finished, not a very good job BTW, I put it on with factory sock on the other side. Was a warm summer day and went up the mountain. The knitted sock felt much better than the factory job. Calf support was great. Right foot was much drier than the left one. Cushion was much better also. I then proceeded with knitting the left sock. Did a much better job. Looking forward to this winter. However, I'll most probably purchase any further socks. Takes me about a week to knit them and it puts calluses on my trigger finger. . .
Old 08-24-2012, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Hmmm, I had no idea there was so much interest in socks. . . When I decided to learn to knit I started with socks. Took awhile to get it together but started with a sock for my right foot. The sock goes from toe to knee and is designed for my foot an leg. Lots of unraveling took place. Once finished, not a very good job BTW, I put it on with factory sock on the other side. Was a warm summer day and went up the mountain. The knitted sock felt much better than the factory job. Calf support was great. Right foot was much drier than the left one. Cushion was much better also. I then proceeded with knitting the left sock. Did a much better job. Looking forward to this winter. However, I'll most probably purchase any further socks. Takes me about a week to knit them and it puts calluses on my trigger finger. . .
I want to see pictures, Roy.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl