Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Lets talk about socks baby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 11:15 AM
Gold Member

Re: Lets talk about socks baby

You are supposed to wear thin synthetics like Under Armor under your wool socks.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Joel, Cut me some slack. What's an old man gonna do with all that spare time? Sure can't seeing wasting it. (Big grin goes here, but my icons don't work)
I know what you could with your spare time (well what I would do anyway). SHOOT MORE!!!! KILL MORE COYOTES!

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 08-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Bronze Member

Liner socks are not necessary any longer. Back in the old days, when I wore itchy, ragg wool socks, it was imperative to wear a silky liner sock. Today's merino and synthetic socks don't require a liner. Just make sure you're buying a quality sock. Check out Teko Socks.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Gold Member

You don't wear liners for protection from itchy material. You wear them because your feet stay dryer with them. They also provide a friction surface other than your skin.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
You don't wear liners for protection from itchy material. You wear them because your feet stay dryer with them. They also provide a friction surface other than your skin.
Edd, today's socks are equally effective at moving moisture as a liner. Likewise, the liner as a friction layer is obsolete with today's socks. They are simply unnecessary if you have good fitting, quality sock.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Bronze Member

Also wanted to add...

If you fitted your boots with standard or lightweight socks, then you might have a problem with using a heavyweight sock... toe box volume/crimping, toe bang, heel slipping, etc. Also, what the boot salesman told you is not correct. You can't completely make up for insulation by just wearing a thicker sock. Synthetic insulation in boots is far more effective than "thick" socks. However, you could wear an overboot or insulated gator that would help in colder conditions.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitude View Post
Edd, today's socks are equally effective at moving moisture as a liner. Likewise, the liner as a friction layer is obsolete with today's socks. They are simply unnecessary if you have good fitting, quality sock.
This simply isn't true, but it's your feet so believe what you want.