Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Lets talk about socks baby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 05:53 AM
Silver Member

Lets talk about socks baby

Hey guys,

I broke the bank yesterday and got a new set of Kenetrek Extreme Mountain uninsulanted boots.

I decided to go with the uninsulated option since most of my hunting is early goose, duck, pheasant, and antelope. BUT, I do deer hunting in mid-late november and may be out chasing birds into December.

I was a little nervous about the no insulation, but I felt like it was the smarter option.

My question for you guys is socks. The guy that sold the boots to me told me that a nice set of wool socks will be better than any amount of insulation in the boots.

Can you guys make a recommendation to me as far as what kind of wool socks to buy and what type % of wool, cotton, poly to look for?

I know this isn't a high end optics discussion, but its probably just as important! ;)
Old 08-18-2012, 06:34 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Lets talk about socks baby

Once upon a time I had a hand made pair of western packers. Wore regular heavy cotton boot socks. Jumped on the horse @ -20* F each morning for three days moving cattle from summer pasture. Was the best thing I ever did. Now I knit my own wool socks. With leather boots w/o insulation I seem to get along real well. And I'm pretty particular about the ol' feet.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Now I knit my own wool socks.
You're going to make someone a good wife some day, Roy.

I've been wearing a pair of Meindl boots with 200 gram insulation and a merino wool/olefin blend sock. Feet have been toasty as long as I don't use them for stand hunting in extreme low temps..

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"
Old 08-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Russo View Post
Joel, Cut me some slack. What's an old man gonna do with all that spare time? Sure can't seeing wasting it. (Big grin goes here, but my icons don't work)
Old 08-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

My favorite brand of wool socks is Filson.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Bronze Member

The best socks I have used so far, are made by under armor.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Russo View Post

I've been wearing a pair of Meindl boots with 200 gram insulation and a merino wool/olefin blend sock. Feet have been toasty as long as I don't use them for stand hunting in extreme low temps..
years back I dated a woman that was a well known "fabric artest". She some how or another came into an antique sock weaving machine, and made me a set of socks out of angora wool. Very comfortable, and very warm. Problem with them was that your feet sweated with them! I now wear synthetics with my hunting boots, and they tend to wick away the moisture.

Wish we still were on polite terms again, so I could con her into weaving me a dozen pairs of socks again!
gary