Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

lead sled shooting rest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Silver Member

lead sled shooting rest

I was wondering if anyone has used one of these things. My question is how hard is it on the rifle itself. The recoil has to go somewhere and if not your shoulder then the stock takes it all. This would seem to me to be a bad thing. Just wondering. I would like to get something a bit better than I have for sighting in and checking loads.

Any suggestions are welcome.

thanks
Old 11-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: lead sled shooting rest

I had one once years ago and didn't like it, or any cradle rest for that matter. I have found shooting prone with a good bipod and rear bag to be better for me. It allows very precise aim, insures my zero will be the same in the field, and allows great practice for hunting. I use the bipod and rear bag for all load development, zeroing and testing actual field drops.

I have seen a very nice Mark V Weatherby deluxe break a stock in a led sled. It was tied down tight and broke by the pistol grip. Wasn't mine but I really felt bad for the guy as it was a rifle handed down from his father.

Jeff
Old 11-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Silver Member

Thanks. That was kinda like I was thinking about breaking stocks. The recoil has to be absorbed somewhere. Other than hunting most of my shooting is from a bench. I also use a bi pod and and like it just fine. I guess I'll look around for a nice rear bag.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Gold Member

Beyond the stock problems it can cause it can raise holly hell with some scopes on the big boomers
Old 11-29-2012, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member

I have the older sled and put my snow chains (give or take 20 pounds) to better use. I also added a $1.99 straps for extra security, not necessarily to clamp on stock and barrel but from falling off the rest. I accidentally knocked the rifle before and almost lost it.

As Jeff has noted, you cannot cradle the rifle accordingly. However, for my intended purpose, it works great.

I end up standing behind the set up to get a comfortable shooting position during load development. Once load development is accomplished, I use my bipod and shoot at prone then on a sitting position.

My set up also works great on barrel clean up as required between shot(s).

As far as stock damage, you are absolutely right something has to give and the weakest link is the stock. If you allow the system to recoil (reduce to a more manageable recoil and not eliminate), you should be OK. In other words, do not use excessive counter weight. I have been using this set up since 2009 without any problem.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Silver Member

I gave mine away. I like my Bulls Bag much better.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytFlinger View Post
I gave mine away. I like my Bulls Bag much better.
I use bags too if I'm just shooting, not developing loads. I also use my set up above to clean the barrel between shot(s) ... it makes for a very stable platform over them bags.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.