Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Lead Sled

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 02:27 PM

Lead Sled

There may have been discussions about this in the past which I have missed. If this is true I apologize. In shooting off the bench what effect does using a "Lead Sled" type recoil reducing rest have on the point of impact of the bullet? I have been told that the poi will be different if you do not allow the rifle to recoil. Does anyone have data to suggest that the poi will be high,low left or right? If it does change poi I would imagine, like anything else, it would grow worse the further the distance. If you zero in with the Lead Sled and then shoot directly off your shoulder with a bipod mounted on the rifle what change will be noticed? I figured this was the best place to ask.Thanks for your time. Steve
Old 04-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lead Sled

RELOADING,pg 2 '' Shooting Rest thread'' Will answer your ??
Old 04-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Silver Member

I bought one, could be the worst thing I ever bought, shot with it 3 times, after that I used to hold my gun when cleaning.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

I've used one for several rifles and seen no significant change in impact due to using or not using the Lead Sled. I find more variance due how I hold the rifle, sit or lean than I do based on which rest I use.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:56 PM
Silver Member

I have one and use it when developing loads. You can set your rifle to slide back slightly when fired. Similar to recoil against the shoulder. You need to check your zero's with each rifle, because each one recoils differently. My 243 shoots the same with the lead sled or bipod or off a pack. My bigger guns usually shoot higher with the bipod or off the pack than the sled. I have seen quite a few folks that think their rifle wont shoot until you put it in the sled and shoot a good group with it. At that point it's time to work on marksmanship skills and quit blaming the gun.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:09 AM

Thanks guys. I have felt as moombaskier has stated that I would have to verify my zero off the bipod or shooting sticks after using the sled. I'll have to try allowing the stock a little space to recoil and see what difference that makes.Steve
Old 04-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Silver Member

I had an original Lead Sled and wasn't shooting as tight of groups using it, so I sold it to my S-I-L . We determined that my groups opening up was due to holding the rifle/scope differently when using the sled than when shooting off of bi-pod or bags. I think it had more to do with getting into the scope properly than anything.