Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Lazzeroni Lazerhead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Lazzeroni Lazerhead

I must also back up what fiftydriver and Brian B said.
Velocity kills, yes.
But, high bc kills farther out. Period. End of discussion.
Take it from a few fellows who walk the walk and have been shooting big game animals around the 1/2 mile mark for some time now, high bc is exponentially better than high velo.
The 30-378 shooting anything less than a 200 grain bullet is like having Roger CLemens throw his best fastball to see how fast it can streak past a batter, but not with a baseball, but with a wiffle ball. It might start out fast but it aint gonna be going too fast once it gets to the plate-if it even makes it there at all! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Velocity kills, yes.
But, high bc kills farther out. Period. End of discussion.
Take it from a few fellows who walk the walk and have been shooting big game animals around the 1/2 mile mark for some time now, high bc is exponentially better than high velo.
The 30-378 shooting anything less than a 200 grain bullet is like having Roger CLemens throw his best fastball to see how fast it can streak past a batter, but not with a baseball, but with a wiffle ball. It might start out fast but it aint gonna be going too fast once it gets to the plate-if it even makes it there at all! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Very well said. If I could have one wish, it would be that everybody on "other" forums was forced to read this until his eyes bled. Then read it some more. Then do real world testing to see that it is true. Then read it one more time.

Well, OK, if I only had one wish that probably wouldn't be it--but it'd be right near the top!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:19 AM

I'll take it one step further. Heavy bullets are better a close range too!

The guy that shot the Brown Bear in Alaska with the 150gr bullet was insane to begin with, but where was the guide?
Why did the guide let him use that bullet? If I were guiding in Alaska for Grizz, I'd require a minimum of 338 with a 225 bullet. And a good hunting bullet at that. I'm a matchking and cauterucio fan like most others at this site. But for Grizz I'm using Barnes, or nosler, or something else with killing power. I dont care if I'm shooting 2" at 100 yards. I'm not shooting a grizz past 200 anyway. Probably under 100. Most bear attacks occur with woulded bears that are being tracked or while tracking another wounded animal such as a moose. Or even while gutting the animal like the elk hunter in Montana that was attacked by a grizz while field dressing his elk. Point is, drop that grizz as fast as possible before he gets into the thick (and dangerous) stuff!

Now if I'm doing a moose/bear combo. The 300 matchkings will be there! (for the moose!!)
Old 06-10-2005, 08:35 AM
Silver Member

I'm not so sure the fellow who used to 150 gr. for brownies was very educated in his decision. Worst case scenario for self defense, but intentionally? So, now my interest is piqued for heavier bullets. I've heard the 200 gr. accubonds are popular. What of the wildcats? Is there a point of diminishing returns for the 300rum cartridge? I've tried to do some research on the "best all around load" for this gun and my uses for it. I found the lost river 165 gr. with its bc of .672 and an mv of @3500 to be quite seductive. Would this not be an appropriate combo? I've gotten the impression that you either love or hate the lrb bullets. Comments? I'm still quite new to this, but the way I understand it is E=1/2MxV (squared). Anytime you increase velocity by a small increment, the energy goes up exponentially; right? That is what got me interested in the overbore arena in the first place. So fast tough bullets with a high bc are good, right? I would appreciate any and all comments so I may learn form others who are better versed on the subject than myself. Thank you for all of the wonderful information and stories I've read on this site. You all sound like great people.
Savage/ Broughton 23" .308
Old 06-10-2005, 09:14 AM
SPONSOR

Not to lecture you, but I have already been down the road you are taking. Skip the light bullets. Go straight to 180 and above.

No it's not as flat or as sexy but the bottom line is it is more effective for long range work. The drop is the easy part, the wind is what you need to worry about and the heavier bullets will buck it a whole lot better. The higher BCs will result in the heavier to overtaking the lighter in velocity somewhere around 600 yds and they will carry much more energy downrange.

The ES will also be alot less on the heavier bullets, resulting in less verticle stringing @ extreme ranges.

I could have saved alot of money on powder and bullets if I would have just listened to the guys around here.

As far as the lost river's go, if you want to spend $1 a shot for just the bullet, feel free. If you want to get the same performance for much less, contact Richard and get some of his 190 grain or heavier bullets.

Sorry for the rant. Just trying to stop you from making the same mistakes I have.

B.J.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:28 AM
Silver Member

Thank you so much for the responses. Money is as tight here to and I see no reason to try and duplicate previous work that has not yeilded better than expected results. I assume to richard you are referring to is of wildcat bullets? If so, what are the bc's of his 190's and price? Do you have nay good loads? Thanks, ES
Savage/ Broughton 23" .308
Old 06-10-2005, 10:41 AM
SPONSOR

Yes, it is Richard of Wildcat bullets. I don't know the bc on the 190s but I have shot some of his 169.5s. Got decent results but just could not seat them out far enough and have enough bullet in the case for me to feel good about it. After many hours of shooting and deliberation I have decided this bullet is just too lite for the big 300 RUM case.

I have some of the 190s but have not tested them. I'll let you know when I get around to it. I also hope to test some of the 210s in the near future.

Give Richard a call or email. He'll shoot you straight and tell you what would be best for your applications. I wish I would have listened to him the first I talked to him and recomended the 190 or above.

B.J.