Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Latest Projects

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2004, 05:47 AM
Silver Member

Re: Latest Projects

gonehuntingagain:
Nice work.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:17 PM
Platinum Member

Its a lot different useing my 110 welder at home than the big 440 units we have at work.Have found if you use a little less wire and run a little uphill it will weld .25".If I weld anything thicker I just preheat with the tourch.220 would definatly be nice but $$er and I'd have to run a bigger 220 line to the garage(cuts into the shooting budget)
Bench looks promising.Is it stable enough?Would a spike under the Quadpod help stableize the top platform?
Old 04-10-2004, 02:12 PM
Silver Member

The bench is stable, at least in the garage. I do not know if a spike coming out of the base would help - where I usually go shooting there are a ton of rocks in the soil, so it may not be a good idea.
The only place that there is any play is where the main tube goes into the base (we have a shim to take care of that) and where the seat tube slides on the main tube. The top doesn't have much play at all.

As for the 220v outlet in the garage - I'm in the same boat - $$$ to run one. I'm trying to convince my little brother to visit me - he is an electrician.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:12 PM

Running the 220 is a piece of cake. I stressed over it for a long time, then found out how easy it was. First thing you need is enough room for the breaker, which takes two spaces. Then just run your wire from the breaker to just below the fuze box. You will only have to poke a small hole in the sheetrock. Mount a surface box on the wall. Wire in the outlet and you are pretty much done. It shouldn't cost much at all. I also made a 220 extension cord using an external box with socket on one end and a plug on the other. I bought a 25' length of HD flexible cable. I use this for my table saw and band saw. I also bought a 220 wire feed last summer but haven't used it yet. I would estimate the cost for the upgrade to 220V at less than $50.00. If you go to an electrical supply and tell them what you want to do they can square you away.

I don't like messing with the electrical stuff but it ended up not being a big deal.

BTW, nice project.

Jim
Old 04-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Silver Member

Kind of off topic, but it's all good!

If it were only that easy.....
I have an older home, so the service box is on the back of the house - garage is in the front. I would have to run wire either through the crawl space to the garage, or through the attic.

If I had a breaker box in the garage, I'd already have a 220v outlet.
It is one of those type of projects that I will get to eventually.
Oh yeah, there is also that "I don't know squat about wiring" issue that I have! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

220v welder: $675
Rewiring the house to use it: Priceless
Old 04-10-2004, 10:28 PM
Platinum Member

Hey big Al

Bill had a good idea (again). We should set up the table and see where the tubing naturally gaps. Then drill and tap the larger (outer) tubing and use machine thread eyebolts instead of set screws to tighten the slop. 1 on the verticle tube in the base and 2 in the verticle tube under the table and we wouldnt even need to weld on nuts since they are in non load bearing positions and only need to be thumb tightened.

Let me know. I could do it in about 10 minutes. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ 04-10-2004: Message edited by: 4ked Horn ]
Old 04-11-2004, 07:35 AM
Silver Member

Instead of eye bolts, I have seen another kind that have a wingnut - like head. I think they may be stronger - after all, we broke some eye bolts screwing them into a bowling ball....
I think the seat tube is ok - we have enough adjustment to compensate for the slop - its not like the seat tube needs to be level. Having it slightly angled down might make it easier to get on the seat. The main tube definately needs something - we could continue to use that shim, which I think I would eventually lose, or put in the wingnuts - which would stay in the tube unless they rattled out from the mighty power of the Cummins - they are easier to replace if they do. I'll go to Lowe's today and pick up a couple and bring them over later in the afternoon.