Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Laminated gun stocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 05:48 AM

Laminated gun stocks

I have a question does any one know anything about Stockeys Gun Stocks or Boyds Laminated gun stocks. I have read bad reviews on both company's. I like stockeys because they have a better selection of colors over other companys but i don't want to waste money on a peice of junk, i would rather spend more money and get a quilty stock for my Ruger MK|| 308. Thank's for any help givin.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Laminated gun stocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bill View Post
I have a question does any one know anything about Stockeys Gun Stocks or Boyds Laminated gun stocks. I have read bad reviews on both company's. I like stockeys because they have a better selection of colors over other companys but i don't want to waste money on a peice of junk, i would rather spend more money and get a quilty stock for my Ruger MK|| 308. Thank's for any help givin.
I'm Not taking sides but hear is my take on this.

First= Stockeys has been the best company to deal with of all the stock makers/suppliers I have
purchased. And I'm Talking hundreds. If he has the stock you want he will have it on your door
in 4 or 5 days.

Joel Russo stocks are fabulous and he is a man of his word (He meets the delivery date he gives
you) just like Stockeys

Generally I have been pleased with Boyds quality but the delivery is sometimes slow and if they
have to make it it can be up to a year before you get it.

If you order from someone like Midway or Brownells and they have the stock you want there
shipping and service is normally good.

Other stock makers have been hit and miss on schedule and quality.

I prefer Laminate stocks over all other types/material of stocks. Special purpose may require
something else but given the choice I use Laminate stocks.

Nothing against other stock types/material ,I just prefer to use what I have posted after a lot of
heart burn waiting on a stock and then having to repair or reject it.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-13-2011, 09:20 AM

Thanks J E Customs for your help it is greatly appreciated and i would like to ask another question, what do you recommend aluminum bedding or glass bedding or is there much differents between the two and how much differents does it make between having one bedded and none bedded. Every where i read everbody is talking about having there stocks bedded and im not a target shooter but would like to get into it and where im going with this is i have a few rifles and non are bedded and my favorite shooter is a Browning A bolt 7mm Mag and it is factory and bought in the 80's and at a 100 yards it will bullit hole with the rite ammo and that is factory ammo so just wondering if bedding makes that much differents. Thanks again.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Gold Member

IMO, ACCURATE INNOVATIONS has one of the better laminate stocks available. good to deal with and a variety of stock options to choose from.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:40 PM

Thanks MTBullet for thr info, i will check them out.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

As long as you seal a laminate stock well, it is a great choice.

Also, be sure to bed your action and free float your barrel.

Nephew's rifle is in a Boyd's JRS Classic stock. He loves it...

Nephew's Transformed Rifle!

My 308 was in a SSS LVT stock...

My 308 1k Rifle - The Evolution Continues!
Old 06-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Silver Member

I have had 3 Boyds laminates and have been very pleased with the quality vs price. If you want a really top notch stock I would go with one from Joel Russo though.

Stockys is good to go for a retailer too, if they have it in stock you will have it in hand in short order.