Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Kirby Allen 224 AM progress?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2006, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Kirby Allen 224 AM progress?

I am kinda curious as to what is really being said here. Am I reading it right as, RL powders will burn out barrels more quickly then say IMR powders?? Can someone please explain??
Old 02-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

Rem
Not much is being said at all. Roy is interested in the 224AM and decided to use the thread to discuss powder temperatures experiments in a 338 Win mag that he is going to have rebarreled. I think he is trying to perfect a method to determine which powder will burn cooler in the 224 AM when he gets one. And he is just using a gun he intends to rebarrel as the test mule for developing his methodology for selecting cool burning powders.

We pretty much had the thread hijacked until somebody un-hijacked it but thanks to Jimm it is un-un-hijacked again. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2006, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

buffalobob,

You're pretty much correct except for the determination of which powder will burn cooler. What I am attempting to do is to determine if it is possible to get "any" powder to burn cooler. I am making the assumption that a cooler barrel for a given velocity indicates longer barrel live.

What I'm finding out is why laboratories are so expensive. Mother nature doesn't provide a very good one.

Keeping the "environment" constant is difficult if not impossible.

Today was another attempt that had a couple of gotcha's thrown in my Ma Nature and one flub by yours truly.

One thing that is emerging though, is that with a load that has a little less than full of powder behind the bullet, accuracy is definitely improve in the test cartriges.

I alway very much dislike when the researcher, at the end of the report states that "more research is needed." Sounds like the project is being milked. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

However in this case, that is the case, just in case your wondering why no definite conclusions are being stated. Which is the case. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I have a whole new idea for tomorrow. Instead of shooting a shot then measureing, I'll shot all six shots in very rapid succession then measure the temperature rise.

Noteworty observation is that with the "check" loads, the temperature rises steadily to the maximum. With the "test" loads it increases in stages which indicates, I think, that temperature is flowing.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Roy

As you probably know, the "Delta" is what drives the <font color="red"> rate </font> of heat transfer. This is true for the burning powder to the barrel and from the barrel to the air. In order to control delta all through the process, the shots must be equally spaced in time and completed at the same time. Otherwise you could have alot of heat loss during the middle of the sequence and end up with the same heat transfer from the powder but a lower ending barrel temperature.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks , I think [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

What ? you didn't like my poem of hunters lament ? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

I still say the handheld laser thermometer would work , reckon you would need a helper to get the reading as close a s possible to the same point each shot . I know what , I'll bring mine and while I'm at it I'll bring the Oehler along as well [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Now what did I do with those car keys,

Jim B
Old 02-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Q=uADeltaT if I remember correctly. Been awhile but.......What messed me up this afternoon was that I had a mechanical problem that took me awhile to fix and the Starting barrel temp. for the last run dropped about 11 degrees below the starting temp for the other two runs. Patience or lack thereof prevented me from warming thing back to the typical starting conditions.

This test is a bit 'basic' to be kind, but am seeing some things. I just don't know what. After today's activities I think that 3 Tcs are needed. Divide the bbl into thirds and center a Tc in each third. All with realtime recording capability.

I don't think its worth all that work though. There are other 'mechanical' problems that need to be conquered first.

I took a drive this morning, and happened to see one yote. He was booking it about 300 yds out and went to about 800 and sat down and watched. Those are the one's I'm after. Two things against me at that time. 1) I had no rifle and 2) I was on the Res. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
I know what , I'll bring mine and while I'm at it I'll bring the Oehler along as well [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Now what did I do with those car keys,

Jim B

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll keep my good eye out for ya. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]