Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Kirby Allen 224 AM progress?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Kirby Allen 224 AM progress?

i can't imagine there's much difference at all in the amount of powder flying out the barrel no matter where you start ignition.this theory that the powder is burning in the case and the gases are about all that's going out the barrel seems very unlikely.peak pressure will occur getting the bullet fully engraved into the rifling,or very shortly after with these overbore cases and very slow burning powder.when at peak pressure,every grain of powder is burning that's gonna burn.as this powder burns it's gonna expand and travel down the barrel.i'm not sure there will be any less powder traveling down the barrel no matter where you start the ignition.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Silver Member

A thought for you,,,will the hottest part of the powder burn if it is burning from front to back of the case occur in the case rather than in the throat of the chamber?The increase in barrel life will be worth the effort.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:09 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Cowboy,

Case life will generally be the same if you load to the same chamber pressures from what I am seeing. Only difference is that velocity potential will be higher with same chamber pressures so in theory you can load to lower pressures, get same velocity performance and dramatically increase case life if you want.

From my intitial testing it looks like the modification to the cases will add roughly 20 cents to the price of each case for the tubing and a little bench time. The tubes should also be able to be removed from old brass and fitted into new cases as well. More testing will be needed to prove this true but it should work if your careful with installing and removing the tubing.

With the added price is really only seems practical to use this system on the most severe of cases to promote throat life, such as all the Allen Magnums [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-16-2006, 10:11 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

BJ,

DAMN, thats right, front ignition system testing has been terminated [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!!

Just kidding.

My barrels cost as much as my customers so it will limit the rebarrel jobs on my rifles as well!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-16-2006, 10:15 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

ATH,

That is true and I will say you are probably far more educated on physics then I.

Perhaps what I should have said is that felt recoil is different. And it really is. Instead of the sharp slap of recoil that we are used to it is more of a slow rolling push. Probably the exact same amount of recoil energy but it feels different.

First few I shot I though I was having hangfires thats how strange it initially feels. Once you get to the higher pressure loadings, it begins to feel more conventional but still slightly different.

Personally I believe this is due to the fact there there is not that sharp spike in chamber pressure as there is with conventional ignition rounds. It is a much more gradual pressure curve as it is a more progressive and even powder burn.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Dave,

With conventional ignition the powder is forced into the bore before it even ignites in these large capacity small bore cases. Peak pressure is not at the point of bullet engraving, it is generally when the bullet is at least a couple inches down the bore and in severe cases more then that.

With forward ignition, the powder is ignited at the front of the case. This area ignites and is converted to gas. THis is the "hot spot" if you will of the powder ignition. From there the powder burns from the front of the case to the rear instead of down the bore.

The powder ignition actually holds the unburnt powder IN the case until it is burnt.

This is not a new concept. Nearly all the military rounds over 50 BMG use front ignition for this reason and the results have been proven from their testing that this actually occurs.

The only problem is making it practical for conventional handloaders instead of 30 MM cannon fodder [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Sullijr,

Thats the entire idea, keep the "burning" powder in the case as long as possible or totally if possible to protect the throat.

This is the main goal of these tests and we will see what happens. The system works, making it practical, accurate and consistant to use if the challange at hand!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com