Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Kirby Allen 224 AM progress?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2006, 10:53 PM

Kirby Allen 224 AM progress?

Hi Kirby
How is the .224AM going?
I am very keen to hear your results so far if you have been able to check groups and velocity?
All the best for 2006
APB
Old 01-03-2006, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Kirby Allen 224 AM progress?

aussie,

shhhhh, q u i e t, d o n o t d i s t u r b. Genius @ work.

I'm with you though. There is no one more interested in this project than this old man. Except for maybe Kirby. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2006, 03:39 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

APB,

Been doing alot of testing so far with the 224 AM as well as the front ignition system. Some good results some issues I need to deal with, mainly on case design.

Can say that I have shot some 1/2" groups at 100 yards and have hit speeds of 3425 fps in the 26.5" barrel but not consistantly enough to offer any hard test results yet.

Will be posting here soon with more results. It seems the 3 groove Lilja is being a bit hard on the 107 gr pills for some reason. Not as much with the 100 gr bullets but still some issues I need to deal with.

As with anything this extreme, there are ISSUES to play with!!!

The front ignition is very intereting though, totally different learning curve as far as pressures and loading are concerned. Very interesting stuff testing this Front Ignition!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 01-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
APB,

The front ignition is very intereting though,
Very interesting stuff testing this Front Ignition!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're pushing the technological envelope just a little aren't cha?

Haven't heard of frontal ignition for a lot of years. Wasn't it Gibbs that was giving it a go back in the 60s?

Who was that little guy on That was the Week that Was that said: "V e r y I n t e r e s t i n g"

Am I old or what [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

Okay I'll bite. What is front ignition? From the litteral meaning of the words used I gather maybe you have some sort of consumable tube over the primer hole to direct the ignition to the base of the bullet so the powder will burn from the bullet back there by stopping some of the erratic pressures from the powder bridging theory you have mentioned in the past. Am I close?

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the update Kirby.
I look forward to the next stage of your development on this round. should be one hell of a wind bucker without the recoil of similar BC projectiles in the larger calibers.
I am not a fan of the heavy rifles required for the big cases and really heavy pills.
APB
Old 01-08-2006, 07:11 PM
Bronze Member

HMMMM... I can't find much on this subject. It's the first time I've heard of it as well. Can someone elaborate?

Source:

"Front Ignition Loading Technique" OKH, O'Neil, Keith and Hopkins came up with system of loading a cartridge case and found recoil reduction, velocity increase, and muzzle flash decrease. The US Government found out and put them to work experimenting with the .50 caliber case during the WWII. The entire process was kept a secret as the government was afraid the Germans would find out about it. In 1946, after the war, the truth came out. Both Elmer Keith and Rocky Gibbs described the methods and the article shows the work I did duplicating their results. Rocky Gibbs wrote a pamphlet entitled "The Front Ignition Loading Technique". I only know of two copies. The complete pamphlet was republished in the book "Gibbs Cartridges and the Front Ignition Loading Technique."

TAC