Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Just installed some new bottom metal.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 07:25 PM

Just installed some new bottom metal.

Howdy, I just installed a DM system on my 30.06 Remington 700 and wanted to share some pics with you guys. I purchased a set of bottom metal from Jeff at CDI Precision Gunworks along with two .300 Winchester magazines and had him inlet my stock.

Here's a close up with a magazine installed. The trigger guard is plenty big enough for gloves. The whole magazine acceptor is milled out of a solid chunk of aluminum and feels really solid while keeping the weight down.

The inletting was excellent; everything just came together. The action screws were slightly long so they had to be filed down but there's nothing difficult about that. You can see from the image above the finish on the magazine catch flakes easily but that's pretty trivial.

Here's a shot assembled and ready to play. If you want to see more photos check this album out.
The most time-consuming part of assembly was getting the magazine feed lips to smoothly feed rounds without a lot of pressure. The trick for me was getting the front and back of the lips loose while the center was securely holding the top round. If there's too much lip contact on the front you have to really press the bolt. Likewise, if there's not enough contact in the middle the rounds fly out with a tap to the magazine bottom.

On a side note I've got an extra LA Remington 700 ADL stock & blind well spring. Yours with shipping.

Last edited by woodsja; 03-09-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Just installed some new bottom metal.

Looks good. I'm seeing if I can get this set up in a Win M70 7mm RM that I'm putting together.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:43 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Just installed some new bottom metal.

It looks amazing man. I've been dreaming of the bottom metal adapter for my 223 for a while now. I just wish the us border hadn't criminalized any transaction of anything that remotely has anything to do with guns internationally. I live in winnipeg and I'm worried that if i send my stock to jeff that not only will i not get it back but he and I could both get into some doodoo. Its nuts. I love his product and i spoke with him on the phone and he's a heck of a nice guy. i wonder if i got the adapter if i could inlet it myself. what do u think?

gotta love aics mags.