Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Just cause it is in print don't make it so

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Just cause it is in print don\'t make it so

Kraky,

Funny how that happens!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

A 300 RUM will get 3500 fps with a 180 gr pill, just have to screw a 34" barrel to it!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Oops, just read your "factory" qualifier!!! Mystery back on!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-19-2006, 12:18 PM
Writers Guild

Fifty, I was shooting with a gent who was working up some 180gr TSX loads in his box stock Rem 700 in 300RUM. I can attest that you can indeed reach OVER 3500fps with this bullet in a stock Rem (24" barrel? Maybe 26").

You do this by using H4831 instead of Retumbo. Yes, that is a BIG WHOOPS.

Amazingly, no loss of body parts and the action didn't need a mallet to open. The bolt lift was stiff but opened under hand pressure.

Cases had primers flat as a pancake with lots of primer pocket extrusion. Extractor marks nice and shiney. All those great pressure signs but no leakage.

It works much better now with the right powder poking along at 3300fps.

Jerry
Old 09-19-2006, 07:28 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

well, hell, brass is expendable!!! 3500 fps and you do not even have to resize your cases, just start fresh every time with Virgins!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I have been proven wrong!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 10-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Silver Member

I think I'm the only one that has been able to achieve the stated velocities in the Sako Lazzeroni!!!! Even my friend, who bought his before I bought mine, had trouble with his brass and velocities. I never had trouble with the brass, and I was using Barnes 168gr XLCs and RL-25. I did however have to bed the action--that factory "recoil lug" that the TRG-S has is a joke. After the bedding, it shot wonderfully...and I was getting 3650fps. I didn't even have to trim my brass!!! However, if my friend didn't trim his brass every single time, his bolt wouldn't even close--I think he's ruined two boxes worth of brass so far--and at $50 for 20rds of brass, he's crying in his beer. There are times that I miss that gun--was a good setup, with the Burris Black Diamond 4-16 on it, but now that I'm getting to 3400fps with my 300RUM, and paying a fraction of what he is on brass, it makes it a little easier on me. Jimm, I'm glad yours is working out for you--just gotta baby that brass.

Good luck this season!