Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Jewell Triggers??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Gold Member

Jewell Triggers??

I hear lots about the Jewell Trigger....................But I need to ask for those who have them. Is the Jewell Trigger that much better than an adjusted Remington trigger............Am I going to notice the $250 difference at the bench or in my groups.

I have never had one but Im thinking about getting one......................

Jewell, Jewell, Jewell Triggers..........................Is it jumping on the band wagon or are they the way to go...........

Greg
Old 06-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Jewell Triggers??

It really depends on how light of a trigger you plan on shooting. If you are used to factory triggers and their 5lb plus pull weight, then it may not do you much good to get a jewel yet. Reasoning is that if you're used to 5#, then 2.5# will seem very light indeed. Most remingtons that I've messed with will go down to 2.5#'s safely.

The Jewel comes in when you want a trigger lighter than 2.5#. They will go down to a few ounces and still remain safe. One other thing you get with a Jewel is they are super crisp. Sometimes in order to get a factory trigger really crisp (no creep, meaning minimal sear engagement), it borders on unsafe.

The rifle shouldn't fire when we slam the bolt forward, close the bolt very quickly, tap the bolt shroud with a dowel, activate/de-activate the safety, slam the butt against the ground, or push on the side of the trigger. Pull weight should remain constant and not change. The Jewel triggers will pass these tests and give a light, crisp, consistant pull too.

After a while, you'll get used to 2.5# and find that you're still sometimes pulling the rifle off your intended target in order to break the trigger. This depends on target size/distance, shooting position/steadiness and optical power however. You may never notice it on big game with 9X optics and a casual field rest. But you will notice it on prarie dogs from the bipod with 24X optics. Best scenario IMO is to set all your rifles at the same pull weight, or as near as possible. What ever that comfortable, safe pull weight point is for you.

"Most people" seem to think that 2-3 lbs is plenty light and borderline "unsafe" on a hunting rifle. I think it's a matter of what you're used to using and your personal practices of gun handling and trigger finger control that determine if it's safe or not. If I get used to a 3lb trigger and then go and shoot a 1 lb trigger, sure; it's gonna go off before I expect it to. On the other hand when I am used to a 1 lb trigger, a 3 lb trigger feels like the safety is on!

If we don't touch the trigger until we're ready to fire, then there is nothing wrong with a trigger lighter than 2lbs IMO, and that's a strong opinion because I've pretty much used nothing but 1.5 lb or lighter triggers for nearly 20 years now. Granted, Obviously we don't want to be dropping a rifle that's cocked and locked that has a really light trigger pull, but when I am actually ready to fire; the odds of dropping a rifle are way less than winning a lottery. I am already as steady and supported as I can be, and the rifle is already pointed at the target before I even touch the trigger. I've also made it a habit of removing any gloves before I shoot.

IMO, It would be more "unsafe" to have a 3lb trigger that we shoot often, and switch to a 1lb occasionally, then it is to just stick with 1lb all the way.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Duerr View Post
I hear lots about the Jewell Trigger....................But I need to ask for those who have them. Is the Jewell Trigger that much better than an adjusted Remington trigger............Am I going to notice the $250 difference at the bench or in my groups.

I have never had one but Im thinking about getting one......................

Jewell, Jewell, Jewell Triggers..........................Is it jumping on the band wagon or are they the way to go...........

Greg
There are many reasons to go to an after market trigger and not just the weight adjustment
ability.

After market triggers are designed to be adjusted and most factory triggers. even though
they can be adjusted It is not recommended by the manufacture for liability. (Some people
do not know the proper way to adjust a trigger).

After market Triggers have a range of weight built in that if not exceeded should be safe
to use.

In My Opinion the Jewell is one of the best triggers available today. you can order them
preset to your weight requirements and still have the ability to tweak them a little one
way or the other. Also they have an extra link built in that makes the trigger more safe
when adjusted light.

I use and have been successful with the Remington triggers, but it is not on the same league
as the Jewell.

There are other good after market triggers, but the Jewell is just that. (A Jewell).

I have to weigh each Jewell because they are so clean and crisp that they feel lighter than
they realy are.

There is one problem though, Once you buy one you will want to replace ever trigger with
one. (I was told this by some of the members on this site long ago and they made a believer
out of me).

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Gold Member

Thanks for your info......................I feel more comfortable now and will ask my smith to put one on for me. I have a rifle that has a trigger pull of 24oz.(CZ 527 .19 Badger) and your right .......once you get used to it a 3lb trigger pull is way heavy. We are still in the waiting mode for the barrel and stock to arrive so I have time to make changes like the trigger.

Thanks for your help .....................

Greg
Old 06-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with JE Custom onece you have a gun with a Jewell you want all your guns to have one.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Bronze Member

I am going to have to agree with others on this post. I use Jewell triggers on most of my personal rifles. The quality is outstanding and they are almost indestructible. Their are others on the market that function very well also. I have had several Timney triggers over the years and have found that they are very good quality as well. They have a larger shoe that is hard to get used to after shooting Jewell's. I have recently tried Shilen triggers and I am very impressed, so far I like them more than the Timney triggers. They do not come with the saftey and bolt release so you will either have to use the one on your factory triggers or buy the kit.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

Did anyone mention that Jewel triggers are externally adjustable?

Hence, you don't need to disassemble your rifle to tweak it.

That's what I was told anyways and I'm planning to use one on my next build.

-- richard