Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Jewell trigger issues!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2005, 11:22 AM

Re: Jewell trigger issues!!!

I have a Jewell on my Lapua and it is awesome.

No Complaints.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:56 PM

are any of you fellas using the jewell triggers trying to work around remington's fomous "J LOCK" ? i know one said he was using it on a mod 70 . just the otherday i adjusted a friends new m700 w/j lock , if you don't apply the safety the trigger pull is great but when you put the safety on then off it's full of creep , almost like it is full of oil.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:44 PM
Silver Member

Mine has had the J-lock removed and the striker assembly was replaced with a Tubbs....I think? But it was replaced.

Kyle
Old 12-01-2005, 10:53 PM
Silver Member

I also have a Jewell installed on a Remington 700 LSS. There does seem to be a fair amount of take up. I wonder if this is due to the adjustment of the sear engagement? The directions say to screw in the sear screw until the pin fires, and then back it out 3/4 of a turn. I called the Jewell factory, and they said you could back it out less than this. How did the gunsmith "fix" this problem BTW?
Old 12-02-2005, 09:03 PM

I'm one of the guys that reported the same problem when this was posted over on the GGVG board.

My spongy HVR is on a Nesika T. So, no J lock issue or anything like that. I've got several other HVR's (with safeties), on both Nesika's and 700's, they are all just fine. It's only this one I most recently bought.

I did reduce the sear engagement, which obviously reduced the creep. But, it's still kind of spongy, certainly not anything like breaking glass, and I'm really not comfortable with that little sear on a hunting rifle anyway.

Have not had time to really mess with it, let alone call Brian. So I'm not stressing over it much, yet. Figure it will get sorted out one way or another. If nothing else, I'll let my 'smith deal with it when I have him fit barrels to that action in a couple months.

It does kind of bite to buy the best, and have it not live up to expectation right out of the gate. It does happen with fair regularity though, unfortunately.

- DAA
Old 12-09-2005, 04:04 PM
Bronze Member

Jewels have to be adjusted to each individual rifle. I think you'll find it works well somewhere between 1/2 turn and 5/8 turn. It takes a little time to get it adjusted right, turn the screw in small incraments. Either drop the rifle on it's butt from waiste high, or give it a smack with a rubber mallet (don't try and beat the cr&p out of it) with the scope removed to test it. After a little trigger time it will get smoother, you won't feel the take-up
Old 01-04-2006, 07:46 AM
Bronze Member

have one in my sendero w/jlock ordered directly from jewell requested it set to 18oz with no creep before breaking. installed the trigger myself had more creep then i would of liked to see called jewell, tech walked me through adjusting the trigger. a little less sear engagement creep was gone