Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Ipod for game calling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 09:45 PM

Ipod for game calling

Hey there, I will be getting an Ipod and wireless transmitter in the near future. I want to download the game sounds onto it then hook the transmitter up to it and broadcast via boombox or a radio with large speakers and a FM band. I think this will work and I think this could be the cheapest wireless remote caller a guy could get. I don't know what kind of range a guy could get with a setup like this though. What do you guys think?

Thanks for any input!
Old 07-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Bronze Member

Those little FM transmitters are probably not going to get you more than a few feet. Not a lot further than from the ipod to the car stereo. I've never used one so I could be wrong, but that is what they are designed for. Unless you used some larger powered transmitter, like for those home wireless music systems.

You could use a long cord spliced to allow plug in directly to your radio. You probably would want to figure out some way to plug in the ipod to a larger battery source, as the battery is small, and they typically use only a very small current to make the music in the ear buds.

Sound like a cool idea overall if the technical hurdles can be broached. You have to love the interface of the Ipod.

Min Velocity info is available, and describes the performance floor of the bullet... DON'T allow yourself to reference F.P.E. as an accurate descriptor of killing power.. You are smarter than a copy editor, and you understand that you can determine maximum (reliable) effective range by comparing your drop chart to published bullet data....... And, dog-on-it, people like you!