Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

iphone for ballistics program?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Silver Member

iphone for ballistics program?

My brother is pffereing to sell me an iphone he just picked up on ebay. He is the "technological" one, I have trouble with these gadgets, however, since I don't usually go far without my ipod or phone, this sounds like a good idea. The fact the my current cell phone is being held together with duct tape, and that is not a figure of speech, I need to get a new one anyway.

This thing will doa lot of things, amongst wich it will navigate on the internet. So it brings me to my question, does anyone know if they are suitable for using with a ballistics program? My bro tells me they are Mac format.

Any good?
Old 04-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Silver Member

Here's a list of ballistic software titles:

JBM - Software

Several for macs are listed. Which i think will work on the iphone. But I'm not 100% for sure. However, I'm partial to a pocket pc simply for the stylus input and written text recognition ability. It's way more handy then the iphone (in my opinion). My wife has a verizon vx6800 for $250 which is a phone and Pocket PC together. I know that there are lots of ballistics software programs will work on this.

There's also so cellphone/pocketpc's with gps capability - which might be more handy for hunting?
Old 05-02-2008, 06:05 AM
Bronze Member

Has anyone used any of the programs for the Mac? is one better than the other, and how would it compare to exabal?

I just got an i phone for work, I really really really like a lot of the features that it has, but i would also like a good balistics program.

Min Velocity info is available, and describes the performance floor of the bullet... DON'T allow yourself to reference F.P.E. as an accurate descriptor of killing power.. You are smarter than a copy editor, and you understand that you can determine maximum (reliable) effective range by comparing your drop chart to published bullet data....... And, dog-on-it, people like you!
Old 08-29-2008, 10:31 PM

Re: iphone for ballistics program?

Hey guys,

I've developed an online app designed for the iPhone and I have a downloadable app for Mac OS X on my downloads section as well. You can check out a blog post I wrote about the program if you interested or just head to my downloads page and check out both the online and downloadable versions.

Web Diligence - Downloads

Blog.Web Diligence Blog Archive GNU Exterior Ballistics Computer hits the mark

Cheers,
bcode
Old 11-18-2009, 06:47 AM
Silver Member

UPDATED:

A program has since come out called Ballist: Field Tactical Edition, which is surprisingly good. It uses both it's own proprietry software as well as JBM.
I can highly reccomend it, and in the iPhone, it becomes a highly practical solution, you take your phone with you everywhere these days.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:06 AM
Silver Member

I had an iTouch that I got for free so I installed the ballistic software from Knights Armament, bought a water proof cover from Otter box and it seems to work great so far. I haven't taken it to the field yet but it is weather proof and easily changes the data that I need to without taking it out the the protective case. I got the Otter box case at Amazon for $39 and the software down loaded for $12. The software ap is good for iPhones also.

Gordon
Niceville, FL
Old 11-18-2009, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

I ran into a couple guys at the range the other day who had these phone and a program call Ballistic FTP ( I think). It was incredible. The app get your atmos data via the internet based on you your location (via it's gps capability) and automatically inputs the values. This by passes the need for a Kestrel. It also had the ability to calc Coriolis without the need of carrying a compass. That phone and app eliminated the need for extra tools. The only downside is you need cell service for it to work.