Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

iPhone ballistic calc. Apps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Gold Member

iPhone ballistic calc. Apps

Do you have to have cell service to run an app on the iPhone 4? If so that sucks cuz I don't get service in a lot of areas I hunt. I've been preloading info into the on-line version of jbm and saving the drop chart as a photo on the phone but when the conditions change it's useless.
Also which iPhone app do you recommend? Someone mentioned shooter was available now for the iPhone but when I did a search for it nothing came up? I am leaning on the bullet flight by runaway tech. My brother uses it and loves it. It looks very user friendly and has a ton of factory ammo saved into it which I like. I would by the $29.99 version.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: iPhone ballistic calc. Apps

Isnipe does everything you need and more for $9.99 and you don't have to have service to use it. You can manually enter any data you need to. It also backs up to their server so if you change phones you don't lose any of your data. Includes hundreds of factory loads too.

iSnipe™ - The Original Ballistics Calculator For The iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch - By Web Diligence
Old 11-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member

My brother just got iSnipe and we didn't see a way to 'save sight-in conditions'. Does it do that?

That sure is important if your sight in conditions are dramatically different than your hunting conditions.

Shooter still seems the way to go and I've heard they are working on an iphone and PPCversion of it.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-16-2011, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

I had iSnipe and didn't get along with it. Most probably not the software's fault, I expect, but never the less. . .

If you have an iPod/iPhone 3GS or better (I think) Shooter will work with it. I just purchased Shooter (iTunes - 9.99).

My iPod is a bit out of date but an email to Sean, the developer, said he'd see what he could do. I like that kind of response.

My iPod is hacked, whatever that means so I can use a bluetooth GPS, which is at least, if not more so, than ballistics software. A fella has gotta know where he is when he's lost.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

iSnipe is well laid out and seems to work as advertised but I haven't been able to figure out how to save sight-in parameters vs my current shooting parameters. Also, I don't think there is a way to adjust click values. Those are both pretty big deals to me.

I am not sure which programs offer the above options for an iPod but I would personally find one that did.

Scot E.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

In addition I think there are now the following available for use on iPod/iPhone.

iSnipe- iSnipe™ - The Original Ballistics Calculator For The iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch - By Web Diligence
Ballistic FTE- Ballistic: The Pro Ballistic Trajectory Computer for the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad
Bulletflight- BulletFlight, Knight's Armament BulletFlight. Bulletflight 3.1.0
Shooter- Shooter - Ballistics Calculator for Android and iOS
Old 11-18-2011, 01:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
I had iSnipe and didn't get along with it. Most probably not the software's fault, I expect, but never the less. . .

If you have an iPod/iPhone 3GS or better (I think) Shooter will work with it. I just purchased Shooter (iTunes - 9.99).

My iPod is a bit out of date but an email to Sean, the developer, said he'd see what he could do. I like that kind of response.

My iPod is hacked, whatever that means so I can use a bluetooth GPS, which is at least, if not more so, than ballistics software. A fella has gotta know where he is when he's lost.
Yes, I just noticed today that Shooter is now available for ipod, iphone, etc. Definitely appears to be the one to get now...

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl