Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Initial Tubb's Final Finish Report

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member

Initial Tubb\'s Final Finish Report

After a 7 Month wait to get a 338 RUM bbl fitted to a 700 BDL I finally got to shoot the thing. It feels nice to go bang, bang again.

I had a Tubbs recoil lug installed. What a behemoth (means big, really big) I think it weakened the stock when I inletted for it. We'll see.

From recommendations from those on this board that I think know what they'er about, I skipped the #1 bullets and only shot 1/2 of the number 2s. It was said that the #1s are for the really bad bores. This barrel was a new unfired take off barrel so I figured I'd take the advice given.

I also skipped all of the bore scope plans. They just didn't work out.

I did the cleaning rod 'feel' test. The barrel felt smooth for the first half then was rough for about 10" then smoother again.

After the 10 shots w/the #3s the bore was a smooth as a new born babies butt from end to end. What I initially thought was smooth (initial impression), wasn't nearly as smooth as when I was done with the #3s.

I was really pleased with what I was feeling through the cleaning rod and dry patches.

Based on the above, I then shot only half of the #4s then half of the #5s.

I was shooting 82gr Ramshot Magnum, Fed-215s and of course REM cases. Velocities started out just under 2400 and ended up just over 2500 FPS. I don't know if the velocity change was due to bore smoothness or different grit on the bullets.

Observations:

1) The barrel do get hot. The temp was 95 but 5 shots was the limit, I felt so I cleaned every 5 shots vs the recommended 10.

2) Bore smoothness improved dramatically.

3) I don't think I'd use the process on any custom barrel though I've had some Shaw barrels that I thinks could have stood a little treatment. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Tubb's process on any factory barrel or any barrel that is on the down hill swing.

We'll see what happens when I start the normal break in and load development.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Initial Tubb\'s Final Finish Report

I was shooting today in 95 degree weather again, as usual. Did you shoot 5 shot strings, in how many minutes. I found that with my sporter barreled 270, after 1 shot the barrel is very very warm, after letting cool 15-20 minutes between shot 1 and 2, after the 2nd shot, it is ridiculously hot. I got to shoot 2 loads, or 6 shots in 2 hours. Even waiting 20 minutes between shots is not enough. Ridiculous.
I dont even think about bringing my 300 RUM out.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member

With the Tubbs process the additional friction of the grit on the bullet greatly adds to the heat generation. One has to be extra careful when doing this process.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

you guys need a barrel cooling setup to flush cool water through the tube between groups. Their pretty easy to make and don't cost to much.
Roy I think I have some more supplys for one here someplace I'll try to put one together for ya if you want , its the least I can do for the help you have given me.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

I'm gonna have to breakdown and ask what all it takes to make such a device. I am very interested. Anyway you can post a picture while your at it?? I am so sick of going out and shooting a couple shots in a couple hours, total waste of time, especially when there not doing any good. I was putting a white towel over the whole rifle, hoping the little shade would help, but I dont think it made a bit of difference. I guess theres always one solution to this problem and thats to not work up loads in the summer. Better get them done in spring or fall because summer is just not the right time to develop loads, of course my own opinion.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

Remingtonman_25_06 shoot me an E-mail and I'll give you the break down of all the componets for the setup , it all pretty simple and cheap.

jjones75 at bellsouth.net
Old 08-08-2006, 01:16 AM
Silver Member

hi
i have been putting my rifle in the truck with the air con on full
seems to help
thanks
Colin