Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

If not HS, then whom?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2002, 01:59 PM

Re: If not HS, then whom?

HS does use factory Federal Gold Meal for most of their tests. I have a HTR in .308 and they told me that they used 168gr Gold Medal for their test ammo. They dont' use any special sort of support or rest though to do their tests. They told me that they just shot it off a sandbag and depending on the time of day, the groups are sometimes better or worse. They test target that came with my rifle showed just over 3/10ths of an inch group. I finally got to shoot it for the first time the other day and just using a bi-pod with no rear rest, I was able to get .28" at 100 yards in a 5 shot group with Gold Medal. I haven't handloaded for it yet, but I'm excited about how it'll shoot with a handloaded round. Overall, I think HS makes excellent rifles and they're prices are reasonable for what you're getting. I looked at some of the Steryrs and Sigs, but I thought the HS was a better value than any of them. Also, I have found Janet at HS to be very knowledgable and a pleasure to talk to. Everytime I've called, I've received excellent support and info. I wouldn't hesistate to reccomend their rifles to anyone.