Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

I am wanting a NEW Bipod.......HELP PLEASE.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 02:14 AM
Silver Member

I am wanting a NEW Bipod.......HELP PLEASE.......

Currently the only Bi-Pod that I own is the old "L" series Harris Bipod, 9-13" Benchrest model---

...yeah I know, the 9-13 isn't technically the benchrest model according to Harris (there is one just a tad shorter---however I am 6'3", so it IS for me, LOL.) but that is what mine measures from the bottom of the stock to the bottom of one leg extended=12 inches, and my original package says that it is a "L" series---I prefer that exact length.

ANYWAY, I am in need (more of a want to be honest) of another (spare, HA, there we go!) Bi-Pod. I KNOW I want a swivel model (duh) for leveling on uneven terrain, and I like Harris' LM or BRM with their leg notches. I don't quite understand what the Harris "M" models are except I assume that they are "manual lock"? If manual lock is like my old L series, I like mine!

Does anyone want to take a stab at this and help me out please??? Sad to say, but, I don't understand Harris' new descriptions.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Silver Member

Re: I am wanting a NEW Bipod.......HELP PLEASE.......

No one lobes me anymore, LOL!
Old 03-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Gold Member

M designates the leg notch models.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Gold Member

Can't help you with info on Harris. Got 3 of them sitting on a shelf somewhere as I gave up on them. Just didn't work for me. There is no ground in Montana that is perfectly flat and I don't need the "best" on the rifle range if it doesn't work for me in the field.

About 3 years ago I bought a "Stoney Point rapid pivot bipod" in prone model after seeing one on some outdoor show. It swivels, attaches and detaches in less than a second, and most important for me was the rifle could be used in scabbard horseback with bipod in my pocket or pack. Worked so well that I bought one for sitting/kneeling.

The prone model is adequate for me out to 600 yds.. It may not be as solid as a Harris but it is much more usable in the field in my opinion. The sitting one is less than adequate. I tried and tried to get it to work but for me about 200 yds was the max. that I felt comfortable using it. Just not stable enough.

You get this adapter that you put on your rifle swivel and the bipod snaps on or off that adapter. I have since bought a number of adapters only for different rifles and one bipod works on all rifles.

Last time I used the Harris was on a prairie dog town. Didn't even like the weight on the rifle then and I can't even consider that hunting - that was just shooting.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRP View Post
M designates the leg notch models.
I must say that I got all my info from another forum, so I stand corrected on that one.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Can't help you with info on Harris. Got 3 of them sitting on a shelf somewhere as I gave up on them. Just didn't work for me. There is no ground in Montana that is perfectly flat and I don't need the "best" on the rifle range if it doesn't work for me in the field.

About 3 years ago I bought a "Stoney Point rapid pivot bipod" in prone model after seeing one on some outdoor show. It swivels, attaches and detaches in less than a second, and most important for me was the rifle could be used in scabbard horseback with bipod in my pocket or pack. Worked so well that I bought one for sitting/kneeling.

The prone model is adequate for me out to 600 yds.. It may not be as solid as a Harris but it is much more usable in the field in my opinion. The sitting one is less than adequate. I tried and tried to get it to work but for me about 200 yds was the max. that I felt comfortable using it. Just not stable enough.

You get this adapter that you put on your rifle swivel and the bipod snaps on or off that adapter. I have since bought a number of adapters only for different rifles and one bipod works on all rifles.

Last time I used the Harris was on a prairie dog town. Didn't even like the weight on the rifle then and I can't even consider that hunting - that was just shooting.
THANKS for the INFO!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:13 AM
Gold Member

The harris bipod with the swivel feature and leg notches is the way to go.
Put on a pod loc or alpha handle for locking it in.
Here's the info
Harris S-LM Bipod Leg Notch Sling Swivel Stud Mount 9" to 13" Black - MidwayUSA