Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Hunting rifle accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2005, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hunting rifle accuracy

I had a scope mounted at the local gun shop once. A Burris in signature rings, in fact. After missing a few things I didn't think I should have, I shot it at paper again. What the ****! Big sloppy erratic groups. The screws had shook loose. I have a rifle that shoots itty bitty groups. Not to get into a scope brand debate, but I put a new leupold on it and: ugly groups. The scope has since been repaired by leupold, and I put 'em on myself. Just a couple of the factors I've experienced.

I am surprised at kimbers acceptable accuracy. If I was in the market for a new rig, I'd look at the CZ's. Honestly, though, I've no idea how they shoot. My experience has been, most factory rifles will shoot well with a little experimentation.

Almost forgot, the signature rings are great.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:20 AM
Silver Member

I have the signature rings on a Burris, with the Burris double dovetail bases. I have been very pleased with this setup for my 7mm Remmy Mag LSS. The rifle has held the same zero during 3 years of not so nice treatment during Elk and deer hunts.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:13 PM

montanasam

I'm ashamed to say this but the majority of American Rifle Manufacturers have let the "bean counters" control what goes on with the production line and the old time philosophy of making a superior product has gone the way of the wild goose!! Seems that todays philosophy is make it for as cheap as you can and sell it for as high a price as the traffic will bear and don't worry about performance because the majority of the people buying the stuff don't know "Jack" anyway!!

I've got a very good friend that is a Master Riflemaker and he's been telling me for ten years or more that most of the firearms coming into his place for accuracy work are terrible pieces of XXXT with internal action threads not in line with the centerline of the action, bolt lugs out of alignment, front of actions not squared, etc.!!

Sad....but true!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Bronze Member

You can take your chances on getting a good one, or do a precision build that you can be happy with, for a long time. I prefer option #2 because I am very picky and am not happy until I can shoot a group into one ragged hole at 100 yds. This way I know I'm good at longer distances.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member

Montana Sam, I don't mean to burst any bubbles you may have about accuracy, but a rifle and ammo combination that shoots 1 inch at 100 yards ain't gonna shoot 5 inches at 500 yards or 1 minute of angle through 500 yards; if that's what you're thinking.

Depending on muzzle velocity spread and fired bullet quality, your 500-yard accuracy with that stuff can easily be 20 inches or more.

Groups don't keep the same angular measurement as range increases; they get bigger and bigger and bigger.....
Old 12-28-2005, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

Good rule of thumb is 2x the group size in MOA for actual realistic groups at distance.

.5MOA group at 100 will normally be 10" at 1000

Now that might be better or worse, but good planning figure and that is with top quality guns and reloads.

BH
Old 01-27-2006, 05:17 AM

My personal favorite gun in my rack is a post 64, push feed, m70 in 270 cal. It shoots factory Fed. Fusion 150's sub MOA. I have however full beeded it into a Brown Precision fiberglass stock. My gun and other 270 rifles with 1 in 10 twists like the longer 150 grain bullets and struggle to group the 130's. I don't know if you have tried reloading or experimented with premium ammo but my experience is that most guns will find a combination that they like. Again ditto what others referenced in regards to bedding or floating. Off the rackers may still need to be tweeked! Good luck [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]