Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

HS Precision quality control (revisited)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2004, 02:28 PM

Re: HS Precision quality control (revisited)

Jerry--
It's getting deep in here--This guy is actually saying its GOOD to bend your trued action...Now I've heard it all. This is exactly the reason I haven't been here lately. Since Len ran off all the old heads over "personality issues", we've been over run by a bunch of idiots.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:37 PM
Writers Guild

Jon and John, the actions were indeed bending. You could feel and see it when the front screw was tightened and loosened. The last one needed the bedding to be raised 1/8" for a stress free fit.ie action did not move when the action screws were tightened. That's alot of gap for an action or stock to accomodate.

I don't deny that the stock still "works". However, I believe in stress free bedding for more consistent shooting and to eliminate any long term wear problems in the bolt, lugs, receiver. Besides, if the bedding was that sloppy (action could move forwards and back 1/4" and rotate slightly too), just use the orig factory stock for a better fit. I also don't believe in using the action screws as load bearing to hold an action inplace.

Jerry
Old 07-21-2004, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

[ 07-28-2004: Message edited by: 4ked Horn ]
Old 07-22-2004, 11:31 PM
Platinum Member

Guys,
Before this gets going any more, and I have to try to nuke it - which could disrupt the entire internet or worse, let's stay with Long Range Hunting.

Personally, I think Chris was just "having a day", he is usually one of the most interesting and courteous guys that I like to read on this site.

As for the HS rifle, SCL nailed it - they shoot great so why not just pull the trigger and grin. Sure, some guys like to split hairs, then split the splits - but not everyone gets off on such micro-managing stuff.

Let's lighten up a bit, guys, I hate to wield my nuking power [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2004, 10:14 AM
Bronze Member

EXPRESS,
I agree. If I spent $3,400 on a rifle(tactical or not) I would expect it to exhibit a certain amount of craftmanship and better fit and finish than you describe. I have rifles that look like crap but can shoot in the .3's but I wouldn't think of selling them to someone for that kind of money and say,"Well she shoots! So shut up and enjoy!" And if any of you guys still think that, let me know I'll make you a heckuva deal on a couple crappy lookin' unbelievably accurate sticks! I will even beat 'em up a little more if you like. No extra charge.
I would continue to go up the line with HS until you get someone who may be able to help. E mail them photos and explain your disappointment in the appearance of it. Remember eveyone has a boss.
Final Thought: You wouldn't buy a Porsche 911 for top dollar and settle for a dent or scratch? Imagine the salesperson saying, "It goes 140mph so shut up about the crack in the winshield already!"
Hope you get some satisfaction.
Dave in Idaho
Old 07-23-2004, 01:48 PM

I am new to this board, My long range shooting is with LRP's (Long Range Pistols).
I have several HS Pistols ranging from 22-250 to 308 win. I have not experienced any problems with the quality or performance of any of them. In fact at the range I used to shoot at in NM there were not many long guns that could compete against them. HS guaranteed .5 MOA and after fine tuning the loads they all will clover leaf 5 shot rounds at 100 yds. As far as hunting with them I used the 308 last year to take an Oryx in NM at 232yds with no problems. I know 200-300 yds with a long gun might not be considered long range but with a hand held it is a different story. Really enjoy reading all of the posts here, have been a long range fanatic for years (used to shoot long guns but Open heart surgery 2 years ago got me into the LRP's)and I haven't looked back. Like the HS's so much just ordered a 300 WSM and a 270 WSM in the LRP's.
nmhunter
Old 07-24-2004, 06:10 AM
Silver Member

Dave ,
Well said . Plenty of us out here who like to look at our guns and admire good workmanship . For $3400 you can build a rifle that shoots and looks good .