Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Equipment Discussions

HS Precision quality control (revisited)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2004, 05:53 AM
Silver Member

HS Precision quality control (revisited)

When I took my HTR out of it's stock the other day to install a new trigger, I noticed that the finish on the inside of the bedding surfaces was nothing short of rough and haphazard.
Course grinding on the alluminium surfaces and stock material spilling over onto it in places.
Where the two front sligh studs have been fitted the material has busted away forming rough, chiped holes, which alough of no consequence, is messy looking.

I baught the HS rifle with the intention of getting a rifle that would need no further gunsmithing work to get it up to scratch, but the finish on the inside of the stock is something I would expect from a mass production Remington.

The Price I paid for the rifle, at todays exchange rate in USD is $3,431.80USD so I would expect a near perfect rifle.
Unfortunatly this is representative of what we end up paying for anything imported here from the US.

I want to write to HS and send them some photos of the stock, but at the moment I can't find an e-mail link on their site, so I'll have to wait till this afternoon to be able to call them.

I will have to get a smith to skim bed the stock if I want a smooth bearing surface now, and that will cost me a further 130EU ($155USD)

Am I being unreasonable? The rifles does shoot well, after the first range session I got groups in the .3's so the roughness is probably not all that detremental to the rifles' accuracy.
I just would have liked to expect more in the finer details.
Does anyone else have any experience with these rifles and wantė's to comment on this?

At the moment I don't have a digital camera so I will have to get some prints developed before I can demonstarte what I am talking about.

[ 08-29-2004: Message edited by: EXPRESS ]
Old 04-20-2004, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: HS Precision quality control (revisited)

While I agree with you that the rifle should be near perfect in every way; I would put much more emphasis on the accuracy and external asthetics of your new rifle.

Sounds to me that they meet this criteria.

No harm in informing H-S of your findings. It would be interestiong to hear their response.

VH
Old 05-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Silver Member

I don't think you are being "unreasonable" at all. You paid all that money for something great and came out disappointed. When I begin making rifles I guarentee that will NEVER happen. I would call them and tell them to fix it.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

Good luck!
I just ordered a HS sporter short action for a 300 short mag. I discussed the special order length and placed the order with a Rep. at HS. Well they sent me a long action and tried to blame it on me. When I had them pull the order form that was sent with the money order short action #700 was bold and underlined! Even with ticket in hand they gave me crap and made me pay for the return shipping. I am happy with their stocks and expect rough inside, and always skim bed them. Be careful with the lower if you bed it the stocks tend to chip around the trigger guard.

(my last stock was a McMillan)
Old 06-05-2004, 09:55 PM

Custom Action=PGW

No complaints.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:10 AM
Silver Member

Express ,
Bought a REM 700 VSSF-P that had fired 60 shots about 2 years ago . After I had owned it about a month I noticed hairline cracks running up the butt from the recoil pad on the HS stock . Faxed HS about 6 months ago and never got a reply . Had it fixed by a Queensland stockmaker who said it was cracked like that from the factory as there was evidence under the paint of an attempted repair . Maybe their warranty only extends to the original owner but any manufacturer who really values their reputation would at least have sent a reply . Guess the warranty department was closed ?
Quality control on that gun was non existant . Counterbored and ported from the factory . Muzzle crown was that bad it shot 1.25 MOA with everything. Couldn't do much about it without lopping off 2 1/2 inches . Needless to say that barrel is long gone.
Couldn't make up my mind whether I'd bought a varmint gun , a shotgun or just a plain lemon . [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2004, 02:42 PM
Bronze Member

I bought a XP-100 stock from them several yrs back and it took 8 mo's and a letter from my attorney to finally get it.

The stock was hand painted and was shipped in a bubble packing envelope and when I opened it up I was very unhappy, the stock was marked with "round" bubble marks! They are still there as of today.

Never buy from them again!
--------------
Zod